HG one 2014 Funnel Wiper

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cxmudandrocknroll

#1: Post by cxmudandrocknroll »

Hello HG owners,
Has anyone tried to see if the funnel wiper helps in the distribution of the grinds?

Thanks.

galumay

#2: Post by galumay »

cxmudandrocknroll wrote:Hi,
Has anyone tried to see if the funnel wiper helps in the distribution of the grinds?

Thanks.
It does what its designed to do in helping reduce retained grounds when roast style or weather conditions make this an issue.

I am not aware of any distribution issue with HG Ones, certainly never had any with mine, so I cant comment personally but i fail to see how it would have any impact - but then I fail to see how there could be any distribution issue in the first place!
LMWDP #322 i started with nothing.........i still have most of it.

vberch

#3: Post by vberch »

Rick, you don't stir/WDT your grind?

galumay

#4: Post by galumay replying to vberch »

No, I use the blind tumbler and then dose into the PF, tamp and pull.

cxmudandrocknroll (original poster)

#5: Post by cxmudandrocknroll (original poster) »

galumay

#6: Post by galumay »

cxmudandrocknroll wrote:reason i asked is this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACoVJ1p ... e=youtu.be
I am confused! What does that video have to do with stir/WDT?

I see the funnel wiper in the brief shot of an HG One grinding.

Actually I am confused as to what the video is about fullstop, i spied a caravel being used at one point, plus a couple of other machines. Is it a promotion for someone making naked PF's?

cxmudandrocknroll (original poster)

#7: Post by cxmudandrocknroll (original poster) replying to galumay »

:lol: i apologize if i confused you. anyway, this is in no way a promotion. in this video, if you look closely the coffee is going in the blind tumbler in stirring motion, or is it just me?

btw, do you use a naked portafilter?

galumay

#8: Post by galumay »

cxmudandrocknroll wrote::lol: i apologize if i confused you. anyway, this is in no way a promotion. in this video, if you look closely the coffee is going in the blind tumbler in stirring motion, or is it just me?

btw, do you use a naked portafilter?
I see what you are saying, would be interesting to see if it falls the same way if you take a slo mo video of one without the wiper, i suspect it will be the same, its the centrifigul force of the rotating burrs.

I do use a naked PF

BAEvans

#9: Post by BAEvans »

I have original HG-One. Did have significant issues with static cling to the inside of the metal funnel (I live in the frozen tundra). Necessitated water spritz.
Added the wiper and all that is required is a tap to the funnel to dislodge a bit of coffee electrically stuck to the bottom edge of the funnel.
Very perfunctory WDT after transfer from tumbler to portafilter fitted with OE funnel.
I believe distribution is improved (no spritzers with bottomless portafilter which was a previous issue without thorough WDT).
Very satisfied with the addition. Use grinder with both my Alex Duetto and Cremina.

achipman

#10: Post by achipman »

Can someone with the funnel wiper installed try a shot with and without the WDT and see what happens?
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife