HG-1 Zero Setting

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
RennSport1150

#1: Post by RennSport1150 »

Hello HB members this is my first post here and hopefully it isn't a repeat.
I purchased an HG-1 this past April and I'm really impressed with it... anyhow following the instructions to find the "zero point" and actually finding it by feel seemed a little vague so I used an ohm meter across the burrs to establish zero, simple and effective.
Give it a try and see how it corresponds to your "zero"

AcidRain

#2: Post by AcidRain »

The zero point is only an indicator to get in the ball park for proprer grind setting on the first use when following initial setup instructions.

I don't know why people attach such an importance on that number or calibration. I don't care if I start the dial in with the number 4, 2 or 8 on the burr collar. The burrs alignment, the endplay of the shaft and the lash in the gearbox is something I care.

Advertisement
RennSport1150 (original poster)

#3: Post by RennSport1150 (original poster) »

Why not have zero be zero?

AcidRain

#4: Post by AcidRain »

The zero point is where the burrs touch themselves. How this data can help you dial a shot ? It's worthless.

The zero point is to help people dial a shot when the grinder is out of the box. The instructions are clear: zero point, back up 1-1/4 turn on the adjusting ring: should be in the ball park and only minor adjustments should be necessary to achieve an espresso grind.

If your burrs touch themselves at the number 0 or at the number 5, the 1-1/4 travel on the adjusting ring still produce the same travel on the burrs (calculated in mm...) and you will get the same results.

sweaner

#5: Post by sweaner »

How would one use an Ohm meter on grinder burrs? Can you post a video for educational purposes?
Scott
LMWDP #248

RennSport1150 (original poster)

#6: Post by RennSport1150 (original poster) »

Set your multimeter to Ω (even better if your meter has an audible indicator) attach/hold one lead from the meter to the shaft or upper burr and the other lead on the lower burr, turn collar CCW until there is continuity/zero ohms of resistance this is the point where the burrs make contact and will be exactly zero setting.