HG-1: Are the burr sets genuine OEM Robur burr sets?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
lkrs2000

#1: Post by lkrs2000 »

I recently purchased an HG-1 grinder and to my surprise the burr set did not have Mazzer brand name and part number.
Apparently, the micro bead blasting removes the brand name and part no. This seems a bit odd to me but I don't know how complicated it would be to protect/mask the brand name and part no.

How are we supposed to be confident that we are getting a Mazzer burr set?
has anyone tried to use the grinder with the original 83mm Robur set(untreated)?

chipman

#2: Post by chipman »

Why don't you email Lyn Webber and ask them?

GILBERTO

#3: Post by GILBERTO »

I bought with Italmill and has not written Mazzer

dsc

#4: Post by dsc »

If I'm not mistaken there's a visible "joint" on the bottom of the larger burr, around the center 49mm bore, roughly 1mm from the edge of the bore. It looks as if the inside of the burr is made from another metal / alloy and has been pressed onto the larger ring shaped piece. I'm guessing this should be visible even after bead blasting. Haven't seen this on non-Mazzer burrsets, those simply look like an ordinary single piece metal ring with cuts inside.

T.

lkrs2000 (original poster)

#5: Post by lkrs2000 (original poster) »

I have contacted Lyn Webber but I did not get a satisfactory answer. That's why I decided to reach to other HG-1 owners.
How hard could it be to make sure that the brand/part no. are protected?

I am a big believer in transparency. If non-OEM Mazzer parts are going to be used, then say so and put Lyn Weber part no. so that customers are protected when buying new/used replacement burr sets.

am I being irrational here? ... In being suspect of Chinese knock offs.

cuppajoe

#6: Post by cuppajoe »

Depending on how deeply etched the original markings are, and there would probably be a wide range in a run, bead blasting could obliterate it. Trying to mask it for blasting would be difficult and expensive. Like a lot of manufacturers of products used in a wide range of other people's devices, Mazzer could also be doing runs of burrs under contract for other companies that are not badged. There could also be differences in the markings between batches over time. My guess a low priority consideration in production. It would also be way too expensive for LW to etch their logo in the burrs they use, tho this could be done by the burr maker if they offer that service.

Considering it is a high end expensive product of limited production catering to a discerning specialty crowd, seems unlikely they would risk their reputation going cheap on the burrs. Now if it was a ROK... It would be interesting to know just what the response from Lynn Webber was.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

day

#7: Post by day »

Have you contacted mazzer to see if this is the norm? If lw orders from mazzer, and that's how mazzer ships em.... What is a small company to do?

Also, it's been a while since I read it but there weren't really any "cheap Chinese" burrs at the time. There were basically like 2 or three manufacturers as I recall. It would, I think, pretty much be mazzer or italiamill yes?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

dsc

#8: Post by dsc »

How hard is it to check the bottom of the burr instead of making conspiracy theories?

This photo shows the bottom of the larger burr, have yours got a similar edge like the one highlighted on the photo?

T.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by mgwolf »

When I bought my HG1 a few years ago, it was available with Mazzer burrs (uncoated) and nonMazzer burrs that were coated. Why would you advertise those two types if they both were non-Mazzer? Doesn't make sense. I never got the impression that Lyn Weber and crew were trying to pull any fast ones. They were always very open and they provide excellent customer service.

kofi

#10: Post by kofi »

There were two burr set options when I purchased mine: Mazzer and "after market" (tin coated). I chose the after market tin coated option and I did so with the presumption that it was not made by Mazzer or any other established grinder manufacturer.

If Mazzer has no patents for their burr designs, then it is up to anybody to manufacture and sell the same design in different materials.