Help please with cutting the axle of the Pharos

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SJM

#1: Post by SJM »

I am stuck.
I thought I was stuck because I needed a new mandrel for the Dremel, but....it's worse than that.
The reinforced cutting wheel for the Dremel is only 1 1/2" in diameter and it's impossible to get an angle that will allow me to hold the axle in the vice and cut a straight line across the axle.

So....what do I do next?
It's raining; it's a perfect day to get back to modding the Pharos, but....I need the right tool for the job and I don't know what it is.....

bostonbuzz

#2: Post by bostonbuzz »

A hack saw to cut, and some coarse sand paper to clean it up. Get a good blade, stainless steel is hard. A vice will help as well.
LMWDP #353

ds

#3: Post by ds »

You can also search for local machine shop and take it to them... They'll probably do it free of charge or for very low fee...

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

carbide hacksaw blade?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

SJM (original poster)

#5: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Cool.
Thanks....
Back to Home Depot...
Susan

rpavlis

#6: Post by rpavlis »

Stainless steel alloys are notorious for work hardening. That means you must have sharp tools that cut rather than deform the surface. Dull bits are a disaster! Stainless steel alloys are hard anyway.

SJM (original poster)

#7: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Got it cut....hacksaw did the job.
Thanks for your help.

spressomon

#8: Post by spressomon »

Sorry Susan I was gone this afternoon...but as you now know a standard fine tooth hacksaw blade sails right through the Pharos shaft. There are different stainless alloys and relative hardness...fortunately not too hard on the Pharos.
No Espresso = Depresso