Help! No coffee dispenses from Compak K3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
samircanada

#1: Post by samircanada »

HB,
I need your help. I jammed by grinder a little bit tightening a bit while not running. It's a no no... I know.

But I backed off the adjustment right away and it started again.
My problem now though is that it spins right but no coffee is dispensed. Coming from a rocky I figured out which point is the burrs touching point and backed it up around 2cm of rotation away from there. Any tips?

aecletec

#2: Post by aecletec »

I find a similar trouble if I grind too fine on my grinder - in my case the grinds get stuck in the burrs and need to be scrubbed off.

pacificmanitou

#3: Post by pacificmanitou »

When you say no coffee is dispensed, I assume you mean there is nothing coming out of the grind chute. The way burr carriers work is by throwing grinds out to the side. The bottom of the carrier has vanes and works like a doser to sweep coffee out of the mount. It is possible that you somehow moved the burr mount, and this is not happening anymore. The mounts for the motor, however, are usually very sturdy so this is unlikely. I think the most likely cause is your burrs are still too close to zero. Your experience with dialing in a rocky probably won't help too much with this grinder, since its not stepped, and I believe its considerably more sensitive. Try dialing back up until coffee comes out again.
LMWDP #366

samircanada (original poster)

#4: Post by samircanada (original poster) »

I want to thank the posters above and also Seattle coffee gear who I didn't buy the grinder from but where none the less very helpful on the phone. Way better than my actual provider who didn't return any of my messages.

As described here, I was still too close to 0. I backed it up all the way as coarse as it went and it worked to expel whatever was caught in there.

Afterwards with no beans in I figured out the point where the burrs barely start touching and then I backed it off quite a bit from there. It works now perfectly but that first shot choked the machine which goes to show it is a good grinder capable of perhaps even Turkish coffee grind.

It can be backed away from the 0 point quite a bit more than my rocky which basically had from 4 to 2 steps away from 0 suitable for espresso

pacificmanitou

#5: Post by pacificmanitou »

samircanada wrote:It can be backed away from the 0 point quite a bit more than my rocky which basically had from 4 to 2 steps away from 0 suitable for espresso
Which is why we dont use the rocky for espresso anymore. Dedicated stepless espresso grinders have a wide espresso range by design. It makes adjusting for exact flavors easier.
LMWDP #366