Aergrind: compact coffee grinder by Knock (Kickstarter)

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jbviau
Supporter ★

#1: Post by jbviau »

Peter's teasing a wee hand grinder that evidently will fit inside an Aeropress. The Kickstarter campaign announcement is imminent. If you click through to his Instagram post, be sure to click/poke/swipe right to see the additional images:

Edit for Kickstarter link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/83 ... made-by-kn
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

[creative nickname]

#2: Post by [creative nickname] »

Now that is some cool news! Thanks for sharing it.
LMWDP #435

bobdole2000

#3: Post by bobdole2000 »

Given Peter's reputation for customer service and communication, I am wary about a kickstarter done by him.

Headala

#4: Post by Headala »

Reliability of a kickstarter campaign is inversely proportionate to their volume of hashtags :lol:

tglodjo

#5: Post by tglodjo »

bobdole2000 wrote:Given Peter's reputation for customer service and communication, I am wary about a kickstarter done by him.
This was my first thought too. I love Peter's products, but unless he partners with some folks to manage the campaign, I'm not sure I'm confident enough to back. That said, using distributors like Prima to sell the Feldgrind was a great choice and I hope he continues to move in that direction.

peacecup

#6: Post by peacecup »

Peter has been with us on HB for 10+ years and he knew what he was getting into. He's inspired and innovative and he's in it for the love. Knock had a few bumps like all small businesses - roughly half of the small businesses fail within 1-2 years. I'd wager knock is here to stay.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

sweaner

#7: Post by sweaner »

I have to wonder why an established company really has to use Kickstarter. Just invest in your business and make the product, a la Orphan Espresso.
Scott
LMWDP #248

bobdole2000

#8: Post by bobdole2000 »

peacecup wrote:Peter has been with us on HB for 10+ years and he knew what he was getting into. He's inspired and innovative and he's in it for the love. Knock had a few bumps like all small businesses - roughly half of the small businesses fail within 1-2 years. I'd wager knock is here to stay.
I wasn't trying to say that Knock will go out of business or not deliver the grinder. It's more of a concern over whether he'll keep to any proposed schedule on the kickstarter and communicate with backer about any delays. If he does business as usual, a lot of supporters will likely be frustrated until magically a package arrives on their doorstep with no warning.

redbone

#9: Post by redbone »

sweaner wrote:I have to wonder why an established company really has to use Kickstarter. Just invest in your business and make the product, a la Orphan Espresso.
My thoughts exactly. Is not the whole premise of KS for private upstarts ?
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by samuellaw178 »

It's a good way to secure a large number of orders? Less risk from manufacturing perspective and allow more flexibility/efficiency for larger scale production.