Hario Skerton / Open Top Hand Grinder Lid - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Quadrifoglio (original poster)

#11: Post by Quadrifoglio (original poster) »

Welcome to the next round of the Hario Skerton repair challenge. I wanted to try something easily replaceable.

The spacer from the previous post was removed. The worn hole in the hopper tower was carefully filed with a rat-tail file to open it up to a tight 10mm. Care was taken to keep the hole as centered as possible. A 10mm drill bit might be able to be used. Just remember that it is difficult to put material back after it is removed. That is why I don't recommend a high speed grinding tool.

A pack of 100 Metric 6/6 Nylon Screw Insulators (M8 x 12mm Length) was purchased from the "Brazilian river" retailer for $0.50 plus postage. A screw insulator was press fit into the top of the hopper tower and seated. The photo shows it before seating.

If the screw insulator wears, it can be popped out and replaced. I now have at least a century of replacements.

Reassemble the grinder and dial it in. I think that this fix has a little better control than the previous fix. It is also replaceable. This one is a keeper.

By the way, a silicone hot pad makes a good manual grinder pad. It works well with wooden box grinders.

jasonmolinari

#12: Post by jasonmolinari »

I was thinking of getting one of these for work and a clever coffee brewer...but if i have to putz with it to get it to work well out of the box that's a little annoying.

jammin

#13: Post by jammin »

It's signifigantly more expensive, but the kyocera already has a well designed cap. I often store the beans in there for the day until it's time to grind them. It has slightly nicer (imo) grind adjustment mechanism as well. I use it in conjunction with my melitta #2 filter cone and get a fantastic cup every time.

rainstorm

#14: Post by rainstorm »

Hi,
I had bought hario skerton with your directions.But I cant find on my
country Turkiye and ebay this A pack of 100 Metric 6/6 Nylon Screw
Insulators (M8 x 12mm Length) parts.
Can you help me?
Can you sell me on ebay ,top cover (2-3 item) and nylon screw with bag (100
item)?
Thank u for all...

jason_casale

#15: Post by jason_casale »

So far so good with mine but now I wonder if its going to fall apart.
I use it for vac put plus cupping so far it has been working.
Yikes now I am scared it will fall apart.
Thanks for all the good information guys.

rainstorm

#16: Post by rainstorm »

http://www.amazon.com/Metric-Nylon-Scre ... d_sxp_f_pt

I found this but shipped only within the U.S.

Quadrifoglio (original poster)

#17: Post by Quadrifoglio (original poster) »

The order was actually fulfilled by Small Parts, Inc. (see photo of bagged connectors).

LINKS

International shipping
http://www.smallparts.com/help/200227070
http://www.smallparts.com/help/200226800

50 ea
http://www.smallparts.com/Metric-Nylon- ... s=center-3

100 ea
http://www.smallparts.com/Metric-Nylon- ... s=center-3

The top cover is from a tub of margarine. Prepared pasta sauce, ricotta, and sour cream also worked. Check out the supermarket for something that will work.

rainstorm

#18: Post by rainstorm »

hi,
I had top cover and Nylon Screw Insulators (I had got it processing lathe from derzol (like soft nylon,processing with lathe and long life)

set the finest settings for the espresso I to III...I fine..II medium...III coarse
and on the mill before (I) no flow

when I do finest to (gaggia evulotion, 18 gr dose);
set I..30 seconds 40 ml shot
set II...30 seconds 200+ ml shot
set III....not test and I think I dont need...

have any body any method/mod incrase finest setting between I and II...

fwtechwiz

#19: Post by fwtechwiz »

There are two ways to fine tune the settings between the I and II settings. The difference in height of the burr shaft from setting I to setting II is approx. .009 inch. There is a washer under the adjustment cog that measures .030 inch. Replace that washer with one that measures .034 inch and reassemble the grinder exactly as it was before. (that's the difficult part). You will probably need a caliper, and measure the height of the burr shaft before taking it apart, then match the burr shaft height when reassembling. When you do, you will achieve a one half step finer grind setting.
Method two - replace the adjustment cog with an 8 MM Nylok nut. I did this, and so far, the nut does not move when grinding. To adjust the setting, simply turn the nut with a wrench. This will make it a stepless adjustment. You will still need to use the forked washer, or the handle will not tighten down right. You can flip it upside down to get the tines out of the way, and then you can fit a wrench onto the adjustment nut without needing to remove the handle.

rainstorm

#20: Post by rainstorm »

hi fwtechwiz,
can u explain with photo? thank you for your help...