Hand (grinder) Jive - a photo essay - Page 100

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
doubleOsoul

#991: Post by doubleOsoul »

rolleiman wrote:Thank you Mad_machinist for your help.
Recently I bought a Moulux from France ebay,
Seems like a must buy for the people who only have 20 hand grinders. :)
LOL... I lost out on a couple of these. How's the grind?

rolleiman

#992: Post by rolleiman »

DoubleOSoul:
I like it grind for espresso , althought more turns than Pede, but it seems like to have a better taste than Pede.
There is more chances to see it in France eBay.

Advertisement
doubleOsoul

#993: Post by doubleOsoul »

Cool... thanks for the info, rolleiman.

peacecup (original poster)

#994: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

Welcome to the centennial page of the HandJive thread. Who'd have thought back on Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:22 am, that we'd be here six years and 100 pages later. New high-tech hand grinders flying off the assembly line, hand grinder pre-order mailboxes bristling over, the hand grinder roadshow on the front page of HB (although curiously stalled at the moment).

Hand ground, hand pulled, hands down...

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

EricBNC

#995: Post by EricBNC »

grog wrote:Work flow:

Not sure what the model is on the Kym, but it easily grinds espresso fine. I've had unbelievable luck with mills that grind for espresso no problem, although I've yet to venture outside of the Dienes/Kym/Zassenhaus trio.
That is a model 9450 - I think it is a nice little mill.

LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

peacecup (original poster)

#996: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

A slightly differently-shaped little KYM. Cherry wood. Different sticker too - I suspect mine is older. I can't read any numbers on the bottom. It is a solid piece of wood, a real pocket rocket. Never really tested it for espresso. The sheet metal at the edges of the hinges is prone to breaking with prolonged use, so be careful.

I have too many old hand grinders now. I'm thinking of selling off a few to fund the purchase of a Pharos.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

EricBNC

#997: Post by EricBNC »

My KyM Mokka 9450 mill would pair up with old style stove top espresso very well.

LMWDP #378

Advertisement
grog

#998: Post by grog »

My 9450 is capable of grinding fine enough to completely choke my Peppina (have yet to try with my other levers). The prior owner (wisely) removed the screws at the bottom of the front metal 'door', so it just pulls right out for grounds removal.

Recently picked up a Dienes 88 - what a great little grinder.
LMWDP #514

EricBNC

#999: Post by EricBNC replying to grog »

I recently picked up another Dienes 88 too. My first one has a swept angle to the handle while this new one has the handle sitting straight up:

The metal tag is pretty much shot but the price reflected this so all is good. This one has nice movement and the wood is in decent shape.
LMWDP #378

Burner0000

#1000: Post by Burner0000 »

I know that newer hand grinders aren't the most popular on this thread but I am blown away at my new set up. I have never in my life ground and pulled coffee this good. This hand grinder is knocking out 2 commercial grinders I was using previously.

Rancilio Silvia V3 bottomless portafilter + Kyocera CM-50 PFP/Stepless + Brazil Santos FC.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..