Hand (grinder) Jive - a photo essay - Page 99

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
spaceman

#981: Post by spaceman »

Oh yeah, I like that one. 8) Well, I got the Zass all the ways apart finally, and as you can see, it's threaded at the burr, which definitely wasn't what I was expecting. :o This one was VERY clean inside, but the drive shaft has some wear marks, where it goes through that bushing up top. I cleaned those, and the BB assembly, and applied some good old Shimano Spin Doctor bicycle grease, and it's way WAY better. Plus I think that ceramic (?) hopper liner was sitting off-center, which might have been the main issue. I just hope I don't get disqualified from this competition, for cheating, LOL. :lol:

Advertisement
leicaism

#982: Post by leicaism »

I just finish the restoration of Goldenberg.
Nice wood case and baroque decoration.. Love it so much...
Joe

Eastsideloco

#983: Post by Eastsideloco »

Beautiful mill (and exceptional photo). Very classy product. Love the hopper lids, and the detail in the upper bearing strap. Tight grained wood. And the Goldenberg tag is the best. (The eye in the sky is watching you grind your coffee.)

Is there a relationship between Goldenberg and Peugeot? Was Goldenberg labeling Peugeot mills? (I've even seen Peugeot EX mills with a Goldenberg label.) Did Peugeot have an agreement to copy Goldenberg's product design? Or vice versa?

According to my reference materials, the Peugeot mills like this one date from mid-1800s until 1915. So this Goldenberg is likely 100+ years old, a real antique.

spaceman

#984: Post by spaceman »

Very nice, leicaism. 8)

grog

#985: Post by grog »

Work flow:

Not sure what the model is on the Kym, but it easily grinds espresso fine. I've had unbelievable luck with mills that grind for espresso no problem, although I've yet to venture outside of the Dienes/Kym/Zassenhaus trio.
LMWDP #514

jason32835

#986: Post by jason32835 »

I've been reading this post longingly over the past few days. I am in the market for a budget setup for my Areopress that is sitting under the Christmas tree. Eric actually turned me on to the idea of a vintage grinder on another forum. I also collect vintage audio equipment, so this was right up my alley.

I was watching a nice Trosser on ebay and ended up losing it right at the end (which of you bastards was it?) :twisted:

Sooo.. in my usual fashion I panicked and bought this one:

This is actually the best picture in the listing.. so wish me luck! I'll post more pictures when I get it.

leicaism

#987: Post by leicaism »

Eastsideloco wrote:Beautiful mill (and exceptional photo). Very classy product. Love the hopper lids, and the detail in the upper bearing strap. Tight grained wood. And the Goldenberg tag is the best. (The eye in the sky is watching you grind your coffee.)

Is there a relationship between Goldenberg and Peugeot? Was Goldenberg labeling Peugeot mills? (I've even seen Peugeot EX mills with a Goldenberg label.) Did Peugeot have an agreement to copy Goldenberg's product design? Or vice versa?
Yes, I like the Goldenberg tag too. I am not sure if there has any relationship between Goldenberg and Peugeot. But, I felt the parts of French grinders look like in similar styles, such as hopper lids, handles..

Advertisement
leicaism

#988: Post by leicaism »

The portrait of Zassenhaus 531 (nickname: Apple grinder), one of my favorite German grinders.

EricBNC

#989: Post by EricBNC »

That is a very attractive grinder. These do command a premium even though they share similar internal parts with other Zassenhaus mills.

I notice yours has no knob on the drawer but mine does - I bet yours is a later model of this design than mine.
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

EricBNC

#990: Post by EricBNC »

I found a cheapie on eBay recently that is made in Czechoslovakia by Lodos. It looks like a Tramp 3 style grinder and is labeled "Traveler". The Box is stamped 2004 on the inside so it isn't vintage even though the design has been around for quite a while now.

The body is plastic but the outer burr carrier is made of a tougher material than the body. The battery is a AA included for size perspective - this is a small grinder.

The inner burr is tiny but looks sharp enough.

The inner burr rides on a ball bearing resting on the adjustment screw.

The grind quality is decent but this is one slow mill - more than 200 turns for 16 grams...
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"