Hand (grinder) Jive - a photo essay - Page 127

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bakafish

#1261: Post by bakafish »

I made a mod to my Rosco to improve the use. The crank is from a very bad Zassenhaus 500.

It extended the crank by 2.5 cm and the much bigger knob also a great help for grind. I have to apologize that I said the longer crank only made the grind hand easier but no help to the hold hand because the torque is the same. I was totally wrong.

The longer crank not only made the torque the same with less strength to my right hand, but also let my left hand much easier to hold the grinder. I think there might be some fault force from my right hand during grind and my left hand had to fight against that. After the crank was extended, I used less strength to grind and then also lowered the fault force. Incredible improvements. I am very happy with my Rosco now and will make it better looking.

edit on Jul 17:
I contacted Ross, Portaspresso, and heard from him that there is a extending handle which is 125 mm for Rosco. The original handle is 100 mm, so my mod crank just fits the extending version.

maxbmello

#1262: Post by maxbmello »

Long time lurker here, first ever post! For the past few years I have been happy with my setup (BDB, Vario), but recently felt like it was lacking character. I have a Hario Mini that is ok, but have never been that pleased with the results, but did enjoy hand grinding.

Luckily this thread set me on the right path! As a collector of other functional vintage items (mainly WWII era rifles - another topic for another forum) this should have been obvious to me sooner, but better late than never.

I recently won a PeDe Mokka on eBay and have been playing around with it for the past week or so. It looks similar to many of the 550's posted here, has the back adjust etc. but is stamped 558, has a flush mounted drawer with metal knob, straight handle, and a metal plate logo riveted on. There are a few minor dings here and there that I don't mind at all, and most importantly grinds like a champ! With burrs barely rubbing I choked the BDB first try, backed off a little bit and had a shot that rivaled any from the Vario. Adjustment knob seems solid and responsive, not drifting at all during grinding.

If someone could share more information about this specific model, that would be great. Looking at the French PeDe page http://www.dienes.fr/picsengine/#page=a ... /album=162 it looks like this was labeled as a 5010, but who knows?

Bottom line, I couldn't be happier with my purchase, and thanks to all of you in this tread for all of the great info!

peacecup (original poster)

#1263: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

Looks like you scored a winner there maxb - I hope you're enjoying the grinding and the espresso. It's good to hear that it's keeping up with the Vario. It looks like a slightly older Dienes, by the label, but I'm not certain. Looking down on the burrs, is it a 5- or 6-pointed star pattern?
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

maxbmello

#1264: Post by maxbmello »

Ii am enjoying it immensely! It grinds quite quickly for the 18gr doses I am feeding it, with very little start and stop on the handle. As you have stated many times, it is a soothing way to start the day and feel more connected to the process.

It is a 5-point star, which I guess makes it an older model. The burrs seem sharp with no rust or corrosion. Backing out the adjustment all the way on the coarse side will produce a coarse drip - fine french press grind. Other than the smaller capacity, it really is a do it all grinder!

I can take some more pics when I get home and post more details, and any information regarding this particular model is always welcome.

bakafish

#1265: Post by bakafish »

maxbmello wrote:If someone could share more information about this specific model, that would be great. Looking at the French PeDe page http://www.dienes.fr/picsengine/#page=a ... /album=162 it looks like this was labeled as a 5010, but who knows?
5010 is just the item number of the web site. You can see the information in this page http://www.dienes.fr/picsengine/#page=a ... 62/infos=1. It said the model is 59?. I think you can help them to correct the model number. Congratulations! Very beautiful grinder.

maxbmello

#1266: Post by maxbmello replying to bakafish »

Thanks for pointing that out - the translation software in my browser didn't seem to be working for me. I wish I could read more of the information stamped on the bottom, but most of it has faded.

I left a comment on the website about the appropriate model number.

Przemo

#1267: Post by Przemo »

Hi!
I have recently bought PeDe Dienes Mokka grinder. However I still do not know what is the name/model and year of this grinder. Can anyone identify this one for me?
Is IT good for espresso?
The unit was rusty and matte from dirt/age but hurra where clean. Probably never used.
I have restored grinder to look nice and fresh.
After restoration:

And before:

Thanks in advance,

P.
LMWDP #529

grog

#1268: Post by grog »

It's a model 750. Based on the flat handle (versus offset) and bakelite knob on the handle (vs painted wood), I would guess late 40s to early 50s. It certainly has the potential to grind for espresso - I have the later version with the slightly differ t features I noted and it grinds espresso fine - but the only way to know for sure is to tighten the adjustment all the way, back off a quarter turn or so and throw some beans in the hopper. Adjust from there and let us know the results.

Edit: upon closer inspection, yours also appears to have a wood knob on the handle. Anyway, give it a go and maybe post some pics of the resulting grounds!
LMWDP #514

Przemo

#1269: Post by Przemo »

Thanks for info, very much. That was what I was looking for. :)
There are no plastic/bakelite parts in this grinder. Only wood (probably beechwood) and steel. The grinder handle is flat and knob is wooden painted black. I will post photos of coffee grind in next 7 days, as I am currently away from home.
LMWDP #529

stereoray

#1270: Post by stereoray »

My good buy on ebay.de!
Coffee grinder Zassenhaus 151 (Western Germany) in perfect condition, used for kitchen decor)))
The result is excellent!