Hand (grinder) Jive - a photo essay - Page 126

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
peacecup (original poster)

#1251: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

If the hausgrind needs 60~80 turns or less, I can't believe it will be easier than using the PeDe.
I keep forgetting to count, but I think it takes a few more turns with the hausgrind. The longer handle does provide more leverage, so it takes proportionally less effort to grind. The grip is also quite comfortable when held between the knees, even more so than the Dienes (trust me, I've ground a few shots on that Dienes...)

LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

bakafish

#1252: Post by bakafish »

peacecup wrote:The longer handle does provide more leverage, so it takes proportionally less effort to grind.
Yes, but it only let your right hand easier. Your left hand does not take any advantage from the longer handle. I have a LEHNARTZ 106 which is smaller than the big PeDe. I think it is about the same size as PeDe 520. It needs 100 revolutions for 16g beans but really much easier than the big PeDe although the handle is shorter.

LEHNARTZ 106

Advertisement

#1253: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

Correct, it is only the turning hand that gets a break. But this also makes it less likely that I get the occasional "stop" during grinding. I can even grind while standing, holding the grinder in the left hand and turning with the right. I can't do this with any other hand grinder that I have.

Also, as you say, grinders with slower feeds are very easy to turn, because the friction is less. But there is a trade-off when it becomes too slow to be efficient. The famous mojogear was a Lenhartz fan in days gone by.

I always found the Dienes the best of the old hand grinders by far. Now I like the hausgrind a little better. Still, I need to do a taste test comparison sometime. The last time I tried I had the hausgrind improperly assembled so the alignment was probably off. But the Dienes was producing some really great shots (has been for more than 10 years now...)

PC
LMWDP #049

#1254: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

Come to think of it, it's mojo who now owns the carved PeDe that started out the handjive thread all those years ago...I sent it down after he surprised me with the yellow Caravel (that started the Caravel thread....). Hand grinders and lever machines.

PC
LMWDP #049

bakafish

#1255: Post by bakafish »

peacecup wrote:Correct, it is only the turning hand that gets a break. But this also makes it less likely that I get the occasional "stop" during grinding.
Yes. This is one of the reasons that I sold my LIDO 2. Sometimes it stops and sometimes it speeds up during grinding.

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#1256: Post by orphanespresso »

Funny...I have been very satisfied with the performance of the Lido 2. I think that all of the trade offs of speed, capacity, crank resistance, ease of use have been balanced pretty well. We have had a couple returned because the WiFi is a bit slow but that's show business.

Truly, a couple customers who, channeling Kyle Anderson (Baratza), ask "where's the plug?!?!".

bakafish

#1257: Post by bakafish »

orphanespresso wrote:Funny...I have been very satisfied with the performance of the Lido 2.
I posted the shortages of LIDO 2 in the "LIDO 2 Owner Experience" thread but was deleted, so I don't want to post again. I must be very picky since most people enjoy their LIDO 2.

Advertisement
Eastsideloco

#1258: Post by Eastsideloco »

orphanespresso wrote:We have had a couple returned because the WiFi is a bit slow but that's show business.

Truly, a couple customers who, channeling Kyle Anderson (Baratza), ask "where's the plug?!?!".
:shock: Wow. Which part of "hand grinder" don't they understand?

oofnik

#1259: Post by oofnik »

Messing with the software 'lens blur' on my phone camera.

Does anyone else rely on # of turns to dose repeatably? I've found that my grinder after burr transplant surgery maintains a consistent 10 turns per gram ratio at espresso range, and about half that for french press range. I only use the scale to dial in a new blend now.

#1260: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

I used to count, but now I just measure two coffee scoops of whole beans into hopper. Counting is probably slightly more accurate, but I find it detracts from the aesthetic experience of hand grinding.

Among the biggest rewards of hand grinding and hand pulling espresso are the few minutes of relief it affords from the hectic demands of a daily life ruled by calendars, clocks, and continuous accounting.

PC
LMWDP #049