Hand (grinder) Jive - a photo essay - Page 125

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BrewMaestro

#1241: Post by BrewMaestro »

Sounds like I made a good purchase then. I'd love to know more about this model, is there anyone who has the same model in their collection? How old could it be?

I'm feeling vintage coffee grinders might become a new addiction anyday soon. :lol:

Regards

bakafish

#1242: Post by bakafish »

My LIDO 2 and 2nd Rosco.

My first Rosco was traded for a Pharos because of the big conical burrs it used, but I don't like its ergonomics, so I sold it and purchased the Rosco again. I compared this 2 grinders for drip and found that the Rosco is better for the light weight (1569g vs. 1286g), length (33cm vs. 23.5cm), ergonomics, and the most important, more even particle size which was totally unexpected. The fines amount were almost the same, about 0.5g more than my Peugeot RIC mod produced.

Eastsideloco

#1243: Post by Eastsideloco »

Out of curiosity, how did you modify your Peugeot Le Ric?

I'll be spending the summer at a cabin that has one of these. In fact, I refurbished it then gave it to a friend to thank him for letting us stay in his cabin in 2011. Maybe I can upgrade that grinder for performance this visit?

The ergonomics of the Le Ric are somewhat unfortunate. But it's my favorite wooden mill to look at:

peacecup (original poster)

#1244: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

That is a nice box mill - some of them are too big to be ergonomic in my experience. For example I like the plain Dienes box mills better than the larger, carved-body "knee mills". Conversely, the smaller, narrower "knee mills" are also less ergonomic.

The hausgrind is about equal overall to my favorite box mills in ergonomics/ease of use. The diameter fits perfectly in one hand, and the long handle provides more leverage than most hand mills. One can easily grind standing and holding it without any bracing support -something that is not possible with a box mill. But I usually sit anyway, as part of the meditation of espresso. I need to keep a rubber band on the top of the hausgrind to get a firm grip, however, or else it can spin in my hand a little. From pure aesthetics the hausgrind is a big hit in my book because I'm crazy about wood.

I think we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg in terms of new hand grinders coming to market - a fitting tribute in a way, to the designers and craftsmen who created all the grinders pictured in this thread.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

grog

#1245: Post by grog »

Not sure what to call the white PeDe...it's such a weird shape and generally seems like one of Dienes' more random mills.
LMWDP #514

bakafish

#1246: Post by bakafish »

The box mill, I call it a knee mill. If you fix it by your thighs or knees when you grind, you will feel very comfortable, much easier than any cylinder hand grinder. Some box mills, especially the small ones, have the ergonomics problem because the side areas are too small to hold it firmly. The big ones should not have these problems, but you have to pay a attention to the methods you hold it. For example, the Peugeot RIC and PeDe, if I hold them as the pictures, I will feel the width 12cm is too big,

but as these, very very comfortable.

The major mod is at this part:

There was a gap between the axle and the brace. I asked a friend to help me to make a bearing to eliminate the gap and wobble. He drilled the brace to make the hole bigger and then added the bearing to make a better alignment and refurbished the burrs to decrease fines.

Eastsideloco

#1247: Post by Eastsideloco »

Very nice mod. Thanks for the pic. I have a few otherwise good grinders that need a bearing shim like that.

My problem with the Le Ric is that I like to grind standing up with the grinder on the counter. Most box mills work well for this. I've even used some of the skinny mills this way. But the Le Ric pretty much demands a seated position with the grinder between the knees. Since it is tall and has a narrow base, it doesn't accommodate countertop grinding. That's my only complaint about the mill. If you sit down when grinding anyway, then the ergonomics are comparable to most other grinders.

peacecup (original poster)

#1248: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

If you see the photo on the first page our hold looks similar.
much easier than any cylinder hand grinder.
I have to say I just compared that exact same Dienes to the hausgrind today, and the hausgrind is actually more comfortable. It is also easier to turn, I guess because of the long handle. AND, the beech knob is even more comfortable than the nice Dienes knob. Peter really put some thought into this little grinder - it is a winner.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

bakafish

#1249: Post by bakafish »

peacecup wrote:I have to say I just compared that exact same Dienes to the hausgrind today, and the hausgrind is actually more comfortable.
How many revolutions does hausgrind need to grind 16g beans? My PeDe needs about 60 turns. If the hausgrind needs 60~80 turns or less, I can't believe it will be easier than using the PeDe. Because when you grind by your right hand, your left hand has to hold the grinder firmly and fight against your right hand. It doesn't matter the knob and the crank length. When you hold the grinder only by your one hand, how can it be easier than using your one hand plus your thighs? The answer should be the revolutions it needs. More revolutions, less strength for each turn. My Rosco needs 65 turns for 16g beans and I also use my hand and thighs to hold it, easier than using a hand only, but the cylinder shape makes it hard to hold it firmly by thighs, so my left hand still needs to pay more strength than using the PeDe. I do believe the hausgrind is a very good grinder. Only needs a good dealer or reseller. I ordered 2 in Feb but did not get any response until last week, and I canceled. I also sold my LIDO 2 after took the picture with the Rosco.

doubleOsoul

#1250: Post by doubleOsoul »

Seattle was good to me this weekend. :D

John Wright and Landers, Frary & Clark are now in the family.