Hand (grinder) Jive - a photo essay - Page 124

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
zix

#1231: Post by zix »

I am sorry. I just can't get the image upload working from the phone. It keeps making my portrait images landscape. And I want them to be portrait.
Will try to change it from the computer, whenever next it becomes available...
LMWDP #047

bakafish

#1232: Post by bakafish »

My recently won KyM from eBay. I don't know its model and was a little surprised that it cannot grind for espresso, but good for drip or pour over. The inner burr is a little different than my previous KyM 9290's. It took only 39 turns for 24g light roast, really hard, beans and very easy to hold and grind. The speed of each turn is very even. The crank never stuck during grind for this hard beans, but my LIDO 2 did because I don't know how to use the flab knob of the LIDO 2 efficiently. It produced 3.5g under 300 microns fines for 24g beans and My LIDO 2 produced 3g for the same beans, but this KyM produced more even grinds. I love it.

grog

#1233: Post by grog »

Hi Ken - I've got that same KyM - yours is the only other one I've ever seen of that particular model. Mine is noteworthy for being easily my quietest grinder, hence it is a favorite of mine to use at work - no worries that I'm driving my coworkers batty. As you note, it also delivers an excellent grind.

Jack, I'll try to post some pics of the Dienes catch cup later today, once I get the wee bairn down for her afternoon nap. I've lost out on probably 6 auctions for this model and finally got lucky on this one. It is indeed perfect for dosing right into a basket. As David noted, it has elements of the classic Turkish mills including the config of the inner catch cup. It also has a rigid upper bearing just inside the dome hopper, so it has an exceptionally even grind. I'm using the Pharos for most of my espresso grinding at home these days, and vintage mills at work. This latest addition is so pleasing to use that it will most certainly join the home rotation, though. Somehow the weekend is that much more relaxing with an Americano in hand that was ground on a 50 year old hand mill and pulled on a lever machine of similar age.
LMWDP #514

Eastsideloco

#1234: Post by Eastsideloco »

Here's a painted KyM that I cleaned up for a friend who just sharpened all of our kitchen knives:

It had a bad outer burr-ugly enough that it never should have made it out of the factory-that I had to replace with a better example from a parts mill. Otherwise, my main goal was to soak the burrs in coffee cleaner and reassemble the mill. In the process, I packed grease around the ball bearing, and lubricated the threads of the adjustment screw, as well as the places most likely to squeak (the handle knob and the inside of the upper bushing). I also reinforced the fastener holes subject to the most grinding force by gluing hardwood plugs into the existing hopper nail holes and burr carrier screw holes.

The last step is a nice touch in terms of mechanical integrity and durability. After the glue dries, you can drill new pilot holes. That way the fasteners go back in place nice and tight, and are less likely to come loose over time. If you ever strip out a screw hole on an old mill (or on a door jamb), this is a quick and easy fix that makes it good as new. For mills, I make the hardwood plugs out of toothpicks or chopsticks. (Since door jambs are made out of pine, you can whittle down a plug out of a similar soft wood.) The plug doesn't have to look good; you're just putting new material in the hole for the fastener to engage.

weebit_nutty

#1235: Post by weebit_nutty »

Very pretty thing :) nice work
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

beer&mathematics

#1236: Post by beer&mathematics »

Eastsideloco wrote:Here's a painted KyM that I cleaned up for a friend who just sharpened all of our kitchen knives:...
Daaang, that is pretty
LMWDP #431

grog

#1237: Post by grog »

OK, not as pretty as David's KyM (and that is gorgeous - looks like it's new off the shelf), but here are the pics of the innards of my new PeDe from a few posts back. I still need to clean up all of the metal, but it grinds great as is.

Here's how the cup fixes into the base:

Looking up into the grinder body to the adjustment:

Upper bearing:

LMWDP #514

peacecup (original poster)

#1238: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

Thanks for all the new photos. Handjive lives on. It is not difficult to imagine a wall or two filled with shelves of these classic grinders.

What are we calling the white PeDe with the catch cup? As I said I've always wanted one of those for the collection. It is a well-designed piece of grinder history with that carved beech body and perfectly-fit shiny chrome catch cup. It's worthy of a spot next to Dr. Emilio Salati's masterpiece, the Caravel. I'm in the process of ordering a PF for my early VAM, so maybe I'd better start watching ebay...

Fact is, though, that I usually only use 3-4 grinders in the regular rotation, and now with the hausgrind hurling a no-hitter I just need 1-2 relievers as backups at home, in case we go into extra innings (and I have 5-6 I guess...). And I've already got the office covered with 3-4 as well. So I stay away from ebay as much as possible because I can't afford any more free agents.

But of course I'm saving resources in case anyone releases a big-burr conical in wood anytime soon....

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

BrewMaestro

#1239: Post by BrewMaestro »

Hey y'all! Just bought my first handgrinder off ebay. It's a KyM, got it for about 30USD included shipping. Anyone know anything about this grinder, is it good? Good for drip? I don't do espresso and intend to use it with a melitta filter cone. It has stamped "9470" in the bottom if that says anything?

*edit*attached photos*edit*

Regards

peacecup (original poster)

#1240: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

Looking at the burrs from the picture drip is a good bet. Espresso might be difficult, but you're not using that anyway right now.

Most of these will work well for drip, though they produce different amounts of fines depending on the burrs and alignment. But I bet it will fast and make nice fresh-brewed coffee.

Welcome!
PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."