Gaggia MDF - "absolute zero"

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
fede99123

#1: Post by fede99123 »

Hi, I have a question about the mill gaggia mdf
A week ago, bought this grinder for use with "La pavoni Europiccola" premillenium.
The result is not good, grind is not enough and I can not generate sufficient strength, even at level 1. For this reason, i calibrate according to the instruction manual of Gaggia, which says to find the point where the wheels begin to touch and place the register 1 there.
GAGGIA Grinders wrote:CALIBRATION:
  • Replace the burr plate by turning it clockwise until snug. Again, using the bean hopper to help works well.
  • Making sure that the machine is switched OFF; plug the grinder back in. Place the bean hopper (without screws) back into place.
  • Find "absolute zero" by turning the hopper clockwise, then back it off slightly to separate the burr plates. Proper calibration of the MDF grinder depends on finding absolute zero. This is the point at which the burrs first touch together while spinning. It is also the point at which the MDF is grinding the coffee as finely as possible. (Similar in texture to powdered sugar)
  • The sound of the burrs touching while spinning is unmistakable. It's a high-pitched metallic "chirp" plainly audible over the sound of the MDF motor.
  • Turn the machine on for only 1-2 seconds. If the "chirp" of the burr plates is not heard, rotate the bean hopper either clockwise or counter-clockwise until absolute zero is located by the telltale "chirp."
  • Sometimes a false "chirp" can be heard. Another way to ensure that the burrs are at absolute zero is to listen for the sound after you switch the grinder off. It the motor sounds like it is winding down, then the burrs are still freely spinning. If the motor stops immediately, then the burrs are touching
After doing this, the grind improved a lot, but I have doubts regarding use at that point where the burrs touch. By the time I am using at level "3", in "2" i can listen a slight sound between the burrs. By the way, difference between 3 and 2 is huge! Im thinking about doing stepless Mod. There is no problem if i use the grinder in the level when the burrs start to touch each other? I wonder if anyone has some kind experience with that grinder can help me.
Thank you very much!

Advertisement
day

#2: Post by day »

I have both and used the mdf with it. The stepless mods are critical, absolutely imperative.

The key is to find a good one. I went through a couple and then installed a drain plug. Approx $3 and it will be MUCH more capable. It is not capable of, in my experience, pulling the really long 2 min delicious pulls. However you can produce good shots up to proper timing/dose etc if you sweep retention out and wdt. I purchased some anti dissipative brushes from azon that were great for sweeping out the chute. You will need to cut the finger guard off on the doser so you can completely sweep it or you will never have success.

New MDF Gaggia Stepless Mod (mod of a mod)
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

day

#3: Post by day »

fede99123 wrote:Hi, I have a question about the mill gaggia mdf
A week ago, bought this grinder for use with "La pavoni Europiccola" premillenium.
The result is not good, grind is not enough and I can not generate sufficient strength, even at level 1. For this reason, i calibrate according to the instruction manual of Gaggia, which says to find the point where the wheels begin to touch and place the register 1 there.

After doing this, the grind improved a lot, but I have doubts regarding use at that point where the burrs touch. By the time I am using at level "3", in "2" i can listen a slight sound between the burrs. By the way, difference between 3 and 2 is huge! Im thinking about doing stepless Mod. There is no problem if i use the grinder in the level when the burrs start to touch each other? I wonder if anyone has some kind experience with that grinder can help me.
Thank you very much!
The instructions also say there can be a false burr rub sound. I know the sound you are talking about and it is very different than the chirp of zero

fede99123 (original poster)

#4: Post by fede99123 (original poster) replying to day »

Thank you very much for clearing that, I had not read . I guess it must be the false chirp sound that I'm saying.
I have seen the variations of stepless mod you post. Very interesting, I thought the option of Teflon should work, but seems not recomendable? apparently the more simple mod to do.
Do you use your MDF with a EuroPiccola? Results?
Sorry for my rustic english.

day

#5: Post by day »

The teflon mod is terrible.

My drain plug mod- or the metal washer mod i copied it from- are hands down the best mods to take.

The metal washer allows for easier grind changes...but that also allows for more slippage at espresso grinds range.

Teflon makes misalignment possible and WILL slip over time if you ever change the grinds settings from drip-espresso.

I discovered the pharos only three months after getting the pavoni and couldn't resist. From the time i used them i could pull decent shots that were easily textbook dose/volume/time but not with the type of precison and control, variety or repeatability as with the pharos

#6: Post by fede99123 (original poster) replying to day »

I think I'm gonna make the mod drain plug . I hope that here in Argentina, I can find similar drain plug.
Is there any problem if I use the mill at absolute zero "1" ? I'm afraid to burn the motor.
Level "2" I feel a little too coarse and "1" very fine, but mucha better than "2" for the EP, that needs very fine grind. I Believe Between 1 and 2 is the ideal point. Always keeping in mind where you find the zero .

day

#7: Post by day »

fede99123 wrote:.
Is there any problem if I use the mill at absolute zero "1" ? I'm afraid to burn the motor.
I am not positive that i understand what you mean.

If the burrs are spinning freely then there is no reason the motor should burn out. I also do not think roasted coffee beans would burn out the motor unless there was a rock or something, and if it does jam there is little risk of it burning out bc there is an easily accessible fuse.

The drain plug mod simply covers the gaps in the burr carrier and allows a substance for the spring loaded billets to press agains and have sufficient friction.

If I was to do it again i would probably get a metal washer and some anti skid tape, cut it out and superglue the anti skid tape or other surface to the washer and use that instead of the drain plug.

Bassically just look for skmething similar but accessible and if it provides enough friction you should be fine, if its not too thick to zero out

Advertisement

#8: Post by fede99123 (original poster) replying to day »

Ive checked the move of the burrs when i shut off the grinder and they continue moving, so i think no will be problem.
Soon i will try to do the steples mod.
What setting do you use with your pavoni? i mean what level? 1, 2, ...
Fede.

day

#9: Post by day »

I will test when I get back home ended up having to go out of town and have been using my pharos for a little while now...also just finished breaking in mdf burrs hehe there was a huge jump when they broke in actually, but inwill pull some shots, shiuld be interesting to compare with the pharos as well.

(Also trying to decide if i want to keep it for french press)

#10: Post by fede99123 (original poster) replying to day »

Ok! thanks!
I imagine there must be much quality difference with the grinding of the Pharos
How the burrs broke??