Funnel alternatives for Mazzer Super Jolly doserless conversion

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pumpkinscastle

#1: Post by pumpkinscastle »

Ok. I couldn't resist and made my SJ doserless. I've ordered the $30 backplate from espressoparts.com. Buying shears and a piece of sheet metal would have put me at the same expense, anyway.
The back plate is crucial, i think. It protects the motor from dust and coffee particles.

Now, I am looking for funnel input. I am currently doing the 2 liter soda bottle modification. And it does work quite well. Are there funnels or funnel shaped objects that are, preferably, metal and or sturdy and that would serve me well? Bed, Bath & Beyond? Walmart? Target? Anything that people have found to be of the proper size and shape?

I'd really, really hate to order that $130 Mini E funnel online. It's outrageously priced!
Also, is there no other way than to spend almost $60 for the Mini E fork holder? I have the regular SJ fork right now, and it is sufficient to hold a basket but can't do much for my naked PF.

I think I will gain a new appreciation of my Super Jolly with my doserless setup. The stock doser is ok but it always smells stale. Plus, it's a pain to clean out with the mechanism. I have done the electrical tape vane mod, and even though it sweeps the bottom quite clean, the vanes collect stale coffee over time that requires a replacement/cleaning regimen. I think I am done with this contraption.

Advertisement
pumpkinscastle (original poster)

#2: Post by pumpkinscastle (original poster) »

So, I scoured some local shops: BB&B, Target, Walmart. Nothing even close to what I need.

This is a liqueur funnel from German amazon that another coffee enthusiast has used before, apparently successfully:
http://www.amazon.de/WAS-Fondant/dp/B005NYMP3I/

It entails cutting the hole and the tip to make it wider. I still have to see whether the vendor ships to the U.S. and whether that's worth it. Still would like to find something locally.

Beenbag

#3: Post by Beenbag »

maybe you could "repurpose" one of those large stainless water drink bottles that they sell for hiking ?
http://s3.tupianku.com/view/large/5865/AR354_C2.JPG

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

I like the German funnel. Looking forward to your experience with that if you try it. This one from Amazon in the US looks like it could work.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FJNU8G4/
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

sprint jinx

#5: Post by sprint jinx »

I am in the same boat as you, doserless all the way. I have been modifying my mazzer through time and testing. Right now, I think that I am at a balanced point of enjoyment. I too have the back plate.

I am using an Oxo funnel, made of polypro as the catch cup. I trimmed off the bottom so the opening is about 1/2", and I have applied a heat gun to it to soften and conform it into the mazzer's shape. I cut a large window at the rim, and drilled appropriate holes. I use Sugru as the gap filler around the mouth of the mazzer. It sticks to both grinder and funnel, and is pliable. I even wet it when I was forming it, so it has a really smooth surface. I had to add a little behind the funnel window to aim the bottom opening at the PF basket.

I also have enlarged the mouth of the mazzer with my dremel, I was able to smooth out and open up the window with a good draft angle. It gave me a chance to soften the tight corners of the casting. There is lots of aluminum there to afford this adjustment.

I made my own PF fork/holder from aluminum bar stock at HD. I bent, folded, trimmed and polished it until it fit the need. It vibrated the bottomless PF like crazy, so I glued on a strip of 3m scotchbite pad. Then it touched the grinder body up at the front, so I put a dap of sugru there. You can tell that it has been a work in progress.

My routine involves a long narrow paint brush, I sweep all grinds out of the chute, run it for a sec more and sweep quickly again. I have proven results by weighing pre and post dose that loss is insignificant.

A minor issue is the launching of grounds out of the chute at such speed that sometimes a whiff of coffee powder will breach the rim of the funnel on the user side. I had duct tape there, temporarily. My next mod - I am thinking of adding a small shield (old credit card) to my paintbrush half way up the handle and laying the device across the funnel in cut outs in the rim at 9 and 3 oclock. If I balance it right, it should deflect the grounds downward. This could be avoided by making the initial window in the funnel a bit lower, down from the rim, so the opposite side would be taller. I could make a flap of sorts, but sweeping would be harder.

This is what you need for the throat -

I use a shot glass above that to push beans down.

This is an early iteration of where I am now:

good luck - always be improving....

Javier

#6: Post by Javier »

Here is another idea for a possible funnel (with an internal sieve or sifter):
LMWDP #115

#7: Post by pumpkinscastle (original poster) »

Sprintjinx, I love your portafilter fork. That's something I am going to look into. I am not a fan of the plastic funnel, though. Maybe it's mainly for aesthetics. But that fork looks clean, simple and good.

The water bottle might work. So far, I like the German funnel the best. I don't like the sieve construction in that youtube link. Probably good for anti clumping / anti static but I want to minimize the contact time between the coffee and anything else. I am afraid it will just rub oils all over and require frequent cleaning.
The link to the short funnel I need to evaluate more carefully. I am afraid the upper body of it might be a bit too short.

Advertisement

#8: Post by pumpkinscastle (original poster) »

Major setback today. I wanted to install the motor cover but realized that espressoparts had accidentally sent me the one for the Mini. And my trusty duct tape goes back on until I get the proper part. :shock: After it's in place, I will look again at the grinder as "a whole without a hole" (pun intended!) and then make a move on funnel options.

sweaner

#9: Post by sweaner »

How about a cocktail shaker like this: http://www.amazon.com/Winco-Stainless-3 ... 000UEE3DG/

You will need to cut off the bottom of course.
Scott
LMWDP #248

sprint jinx

#10: Post by sprint jinx »

As for my PF fork, thanks for the remarks. I used no special tools, a large hammer and my vice did the holding part, I just persuaded it into shape, then polished it off in my wire wheel grinder. I took a few measurements while doing the work, but it wasn't more than 1 hour for the whole job. Home depot sells the bar stock for cheap.

The cocktail shaker will not fit as it is too narrow of a diameter to meet up to the wide spread holes on the face of the mazzer SJ grinder. This is why the polypro is the right material, as it is malleable. There is very little static too, and it has remained oil free so far.

I am about to upgrade my 3d printer to a better one, so I am looking forward to more customized (and usable) parts directly from CAD.