Fuji Royal R-220

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Almico

#1: Post by Almico »

I've read everything here I could find on this grinder and I just pulled the trigger on one from Rakuten in Japan. It's a little pricey compared to similar grinders, but I'm looking to replace both my Baratza Forte and Grindmaster 825 at my farmers market stand with one grinder that can both single dose as well as grind a 12oz bag when needed. I'm hoping this fits the bill. I considered the R440, but that brings me back to a 35# big machine. If the R220 works, I'll be selling the 825 and/or Forte to offset the cost. It will be so nice not to have to schlep that 825. It gets heavier every time I lift it. I'll post pics and my impression when I get it.

I got the one with the ghost burrs which came to $444USD including shipping and PayPal bump. Amazon US has it for $498 and shipping is 3 weeks. I need the $50 more than they do.

Since the machine is 100V and I'll be using 120, is there a nice way to reduce the voltage and maybe add a variable speed option at the same time? Maybe a 200W dimmer?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing about your experiences. I 'bought' a 220 from an Amazon marketplace vendor in the fall but they never delivered. I took that as a sign that I should stick with the Vario :-).

I was going to use a Variac (autotransformer) to reduce the voltage.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Almico (original poster)

#3: Post by Almico (original poster) replying to baldheadracing »

I have a variac, but I'd rather not schlep it. The grinder is only 130W, so a dimmer should work. I'm hoping there is room inside the base so I can drill a hole and mount it permanently.

Shenrei

#4: Post by Shenrei »

You should be able to single dose and grind a 12oz bag effortlessly. I use this step-down converter with mine and have no issues: https://www.amazon.com/VCT-VT-500J-Japa ... B000PC4JL4

I got the 500W version since I can plug in something else into the 120v line.
- Tim

Almico (original poster)

#5: Post by Almico (original poster) »

Shenrei wrote:You should be able to single dose and grind a 12oz bag effortlessly. I use this step-down converter with mine and have no issues: https://www.amazon.com/VCT-VT-500J-Japa ... B000PC4JL4
Thanks Shenrei. The 200W version seems to fit the bill for me, but I'm not really sure it's required. At only 130W, a simple dimmer could work, I could also series in an inductor to create the voltage drop without losing wattage. I like the idea of a dimmer so I can play around with lower RPM grinds.

One question: I know some parts of Japan are 50Hz, other 60. What frequency is your grinder?

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira »

Many and possibly most AC motors can not be speed controlled with a dimmer, and a 200w dimmer may not be enough for the inductive load of a motor. Dimmers are usually designed for a resistive load.

Ira

Almico (original poster)

#7: Post by Almico (original poster) replying to ira »

I feared it wasn't as easy as that. Thanks, Ira. Maybe replace the on/off switch with something like this?

http://www.kb-controls.com/KBWC-15K-H90 ... WC-15K.htm

ira
Team HB

#8: Post by ira »

It all depends on this sentence:
The KBWC-15K provides infinitely variable speed motor control for Shaded Pole, Permanent Split Capacitor and Universal (AC/DC) motors
If it's that kind of motor, it will work, otherwise, no dice.

Since grinders need max torque at zero RPM, I think they tend to be capacitor start motors, but I've no clue if I'm right.

Ira

Almico (original poster)

#9: Post by Almico (original poster) »

Maybe it would still need the switch to get max voltage, but after it's running I could slow it down. We'll see once I get it and examine the motor.

The good news is that they reached out to me with an invoice and will ship in a couple of days.

Scott_G

#10: Post by Scott_G »

I know the Gaggia MDF (new style), Jura Capresso, and I believe the Kitchenaid Proline & Baratza grinders use universal motors with gear reduction.