First impressions of LIDO 2 manual grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pumpkinscastle

#1: Post by pumpkinscastle »

After opening the package I was very pleasantly surprised. I had heard mostly good things about the grinder but also some complaints about alignment issues etc.
I dialed it in according to the manual's specs that put it in the espresso range. And I got.... Turkish dust. Ha! I had to back off another four notches to finally get a reliable espresso grind. And, wow, it made a very nice cappuccino from my Redbird. Not as nuanced as from a big conical but quite nice and palatable in its own right. I was genuinely surprised as I didn't think it would work as well for espresso! But yes, it is certainly capable of a good espresso grind.

One has to tighten the lock ring adamantly to avoid slippage during grinding. But it can be done, and then it doesn't shift. I can see how some people don't like the ergonomics but given the aggressive burrs I don't think one spends too much time grinding. I can grind a 17g shot of espresso in under a minute (medium roast that is, not light roast).

I haven't tried the Lido 2 for my Chemex yet (its main duty) but I can already say that this is going to be a long-term relationship. Grinding for espresso is a bit messy as grinds will remain stuck at the bottom of the grinder, and as one tries to brush them into the jar with the nice brush (included), some will end up on the counter.

A slight concern I have about the durability of the plastic bean hopper/holder. I would assume that forces are exerted on it as one grinds, and its stability is important for the integrity of the grinder. But then I would assume it is probably made from high-impact plastic that is very stable. The weakest point is probably around where the four screws at the top and bottom go through the hopper. Does anyone know anything about the material's tolerances and specs? Has anyone ever had to deal with cracks?

The handle just spins around freely when unloaded. Nice and smooth with the two ball bearings. There is no discernible play, and the whole grinder makes a very solid impression.
I can't think of any grinder in that size and price range that is as nicely built, rugged, long-lived and reliable. Having to grind one's beans manually is a small inconvenience and the gains in reliability and quality of grinds far outweigh it.

Well done, Orphan Espresso!

PS to Dan, if appropriate, would you consider reopening that thread? There is a bunch of new Lido 2s heading towards their new homes right now, and I am curious to see if there are new impressions to be shared.

I share mine here (and if you can reopen, please consider deleting my thread and adding my post there, thanks!):

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

As for the alignment issues...It varies a lot if you don't hold it level when looking at the gaps. I thought mine was not aligned properly but then i rotated the grinder and it looked fine. We are just an obsessive bunch. How are your fines? Mine seems to generate a bunch but I can't say it hurts the cup and I usually just let them stay clinged to the glass catch jar.

I noticed with the lock ring that mine has gotten more reliable after using it for awhile. When I first got it, grinding for my V-60 was a nightmare but I don't think it's slipped in a long time.

I haven't seen any issues with the plastic hopper but i'd be a lot more worried if it were glass, ha.

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

pumpkinscastle wrote:Dan, if appropriate, would you consider reopening that thread? There is a bunch of new Lido 2s heading towards their new homes right now, and I am curious to see if there are new impressions to be shared.
As explained in Guidelines on mega threads, I recommend threads on specific topics rather than catch-all "Owners of XYZ" threads. At over 50 pages, LIDO 2 Owner Experience certainly qualifies as a mega thread. Rather than reopen it or launch another one, I encourage interested parties to start separate threads on different questions/observations. Below are some existing examples:
I found these by searching title-only on LIDO. I think it's a lot easier to find previous discussions of the LIDO if the topics are more diverse as shown above than if they were merged into one mega thread.
Dan Kehn

mbishop

#4: Post by mbishop »

Glad to see this thread.

I just received my LIDO 2 and I appreciate their attention to detail in the packaging. They include a cleaning brush, a screwdriver to make adjustments, and a rubber stand to place it on the counter. I love it when companies do that.

Up until now, I've been trying to make espresso using a Baratza Virtuoso. I could never get the steady stream of crema that I see in the photos on this site and I'd tried many different techniques to making the grinds evenly distributed in the portafilter. But it was the rare shot that I'd get streams out of both portafilter holes evenly.

That changed after I'd dialed in the right grind on this grinder. Now I get nice steady streams of crema regularly. So great.

My only concern is with the rubber stand. I wonder if a sideways bump might topple it out of the stand onto my quartz counter. The grinder is so solidly made, I'm sure it would be fine, but I'm not sure it wouldn't make a mark on the counter :)

Overall, money well-spent. Thanks Orphan Espresso!

bean2friends

#5: Post by bean2friends »

I got mine yesterday and despite the mailman's best efforts to damage it by stuffing it in the mailbox, it survived unscathed. I ground a couple of 60 gram batches through for press pots and I'm very pleased with the quality. I did have one small problem. I loosened the adjusting ring too far and had to put extra pressure on it to screw it back on. I was afraid I'd broken it. It's ok now.

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#6: Post by orphanespresso »

If that happens again, just hold onto the lower part of the hopper/burr holder to screw the adjustment ring back on - you just have to immobilize the burr holder part - it has the threads that the adjustment ring screws onto..
Barb

pumpkinscastle (original poster)

#7: Post by pumpkinscastle (original poster) »

Had a wonderful Chemex today. I am using the oxygen bleached white filters and I have heard that some people report clogging issues. That was my experience when using the Super Jolly and the HG one for Chemex: The pour would slow down towards the end and finally needed to be aborted manually. I still got good brews using the aforementioned grinders. But it is very clear to me that neither the HG one nor the Super Jolly (nor any grinder with a similar burr set geared towards espresso) excel at pour over brewing. They just don't.

Now, with the Lido 2, set to approx. one revolution from zero, I got the steadiest Chemex brew as of yet. Continuously brewing/draining through the filter until all water was gone. Nice, deep and intense flavor of a Guatemala San Jose Ocaña (light) medium roast from Klatch.

This grinder does a fine job. It opens up realms of experimentation for my Chemex brews. I feel like I can now really investigate and tweak this brewing method. Next is French Press (which I rarely do but might now be tempted to attempt)!

boneitis

#8: Post by boneitis »

Edit - Just wanted to add that OE has done a FAQ writeup for the Lido 2 with a section largely addressing the main concern voiced in the rest of the post. It can be found here:
http://www.oehandgrinders.com/About-you ... _46-1.html

Hi all. Just received my Lido 2.

Wanted to ask about this. Should I be concerned?

Some of my internals, in particular the burrs, appear to be a little, dare I say... rusted or dirty?

To be honest, I sort of expected the burrs to be a lot... cleaner looking. First three photos show my right index finger after having rubbed back and forth a few times on that inner burr.

These are photos taken of my new baby straight out of the box. By the time any one reads this, it will probably have had cheap grocery store beans already ran through them a bit.

Anyway, just wondering if I should be concerned, or if I can just start grinding and brewing. Is a wet-wash of the burrs in order?

Crop of previous photo:

Crop of previous photo:

Also, I also picked up the McMaster-Carr O-rings mentioned here:
LIDO 2 vs. Pharos for Clever Coffee Dripper and AeroPress?

If anybody wants, I am willing to send them out to anyone in US. Let me know in PM with a mailing address if you'd like them, and I'd love to mail out two of them your way.

Update: I have about enough for 3-4 more recipients at this time, depending on how I want to handle hanging on to extras in case any of these don't make it to my Lido 2 brethren.

Update: All right. Most have been claimed, and I'm down to a few left that I'd like to hang on to in case any of the others get lost in transit. I think I got everybody that PMed before this current edit.

Thank you guys. It didn't last long, but this is/has been a blast for me. I hope the rings don't take too long to reach you all.

OldNuc

#9: Post by OldNuc »

Not being the resident expert but I would just run the cheap beans through it and then use it and not worry.

bostonbuzz

#10: Post by bostonbuzz »

pumpkinscastle wrote:Had a wonderful Chemex today. I am using the oxygen bleached white filters and I have heard that some people report clogging issues. ... It opens up realms of experimentation for my Chemex brews. I feel like I can now really investigate and tweak this brewing method. Next is French Press (which I rarely do but might now be tempted to attempt)!
I find the same. My chemex brews are amazing. Very quick draw down time (20g/360g in a 6 cup), but any finer and it tastes worse. The taste is usually in line with what's on the back of coffee bean bags, which is awesome. I love the chemex, and I never stick with another brewer very long.
LMWDP #353