First impressions of LIDO 2 manual grinder - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
orphanespresso
Sponsor

#81: Post by orphanespresso »

We just finished this tonight. Hope it is helpful.
http://www.oehandgrinders.com/About-you ... _46-1.html

Doug

drgary
Team HB

#82: Post by drgary »

So that will show up when people use the Search function here:

Orphan Espresso LIDO 2 FAQ
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

bean2friends

#83: Post by bean2friends »

I am not expert enough to judge the fines issue. But I can judge the taste and I am getting some magnificent flavors from my own roasts out of this grinder. Right now I am traveling with it and typically grind a full hopper of 60 grams at a time for a full thermos. A couple of times during such a grind, I'll have to reset the bottom ring, so I do have some slippage. I manage it by keeping an eye on the black mark. As soon as I see it has moved a little, I move it back and relock.

[creative nickname]

#84: Post by [creative nickname] »

And here is a direct link to the video in which Doug walks you through the steps of realigning a Lido 2, for those of you who feel your grinder is misaligned:

Lido 2 alignment instructions
LMWDP #435

7uxe

#85: Post by 7uxe »

The new FAQ is really well written. Thanks for creating it!

I think the thing a potential buyer has to be aware of is what sort of consumer they are. Do you like small production, boutique grade items? If so, you're going to more than likely love this thing. Buying this isn't like going to [box store] to try out an appliance and drag it back to the store on day 89 of 90 to demand your money back on a technicality (or at least in my opinion it shouldn't be.)

Small scale production boutique grade items usually do have quirks that are typically overcome by robust build quality and/or stylish design.

I know a lot of consumers are really money conscious or technical detail conscious. People are reporting that the coffee tastes good. We already know it's 'expensive' because it's overbuilt with metal parts, legitimate bearings, and is of relatively small scale production. I would have a hard time explaining to a lot of people why I need this in my life, but I'm happy. I buy simple, expensive things to make myself happy sometimes. You'd all shame me if you knew how much I spend on other things that are seemingly mundane and cost $10.00 at Wal*Mart.

So far I've only ground bigger sized Sumatra beans and smaller sized, barely roasted Ethiopian beans and watched them disappear quickly into the bottom jar. Where this thing shines compared to any other hand grinder I've used is the speed at which it feeds beans and makes short work of grinding them. Spread out on a paper plate, I can see these 'fines.' In my case it doesn't have to do with a mis-alignment of the burr since mine is on center. Does that affect the taste of the coffee? I can't say one way or the other because I don't know.

It's quick enough that I doubt you'll even get to the first refrain of 'Lido Shuffle' by Boz Scaggs if you put it on while grinding 60g of beans. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQZBaJAngH8 link if you want to try.. )

I'm not trying to be evangelical and I already admitted I'm not a super taster so I have no opinion on what's probably most important to most of you prospective buyers: coffee taste. I just want to voice my appreciation of cool products on the market and recognize two people taking the effort and risk to put a product like this out there into the world. It's really cool to me. Like I said in my first post, I want to encourage anyone with a good idea to try to make it happen and share it with the world.

Due to the price and niche nature, people are naturally going to drag out their microscopes and perform modifications. I'm just trying to enjoy it as it exists because it definitely grinds beans fast and feeds them well. And I'm going to take Doug's advice and see how it behaves the longer I use it. I was the kid that always tore apart the toaster so I get people feeling the urge. I'm just forcing myself to not be that guy :)

The Lido 2 fully meets my expectations of a well built, boutique product.

OldNuc

#86: Post by OldNuc »

Doug makes disassembly and reassembly/alignment look deceptively easy, study the video carefully several times as there is a lot to getting this all back together and in alignment correctly.

The newly posted FAQ is excellent information for the new owner.

Jaxx2112

#87: Post by Jaxx2112 »

orphanespresso wrote:We just finished this tonight. Hope it is helpful.
http://www.oehandgrinders.com/About-you ... _46-1.html

Doug
Fantastic FAQ and fantastic Grinder Doug. Very pleased with my Lido 2.

grog

#88: Post by grog »

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of Doug's advice/ plea to give it 3-4 weeks to break in and perhaps more importantly, for the user to learn how to best use the grinder. I also struggled with the locking rings not staying put (and posted about it here) but once I got that figured out, I realized that it is a perfectly effective, viable adjustment system. There is a learning process as with any tool.

Please don't write off an excellent grinder simply because it takes a couple of weeks to learn how to get the most from it. The same can be said for virtually all of the other coffee equipment we all use every day. It takes time to learn how to consistently pull great shots, to get excellent cups from pourover setups, etc. Embrace the process of learning rather than fixating on perceived imperfections.
LMWDP #514

Rappy

#89: Post by Rappy »

I went to it with the realignment, using the youtube video as a guide.

There were some problems along the way which I will go into and I still don't think this is entirely fixed, but the taste of my first cup 'post-alignment' was radically different. I could for the first time taste the real flavours of my latest batch, even though they are now past their best in terms of freshness. I am noticing less fines too and generally a little more consistency. Looking at the burrs closeup during the adjustment, I noticed uneven wear patterns on the inner burr (already?) So I am suspecting it was an alignment issue after all. Here is a before and after photo of my grounds at 1 full turn. You can see that many of the micro-fines have disappeared.

Having said all this, unfortunately I do not think the issue is entirely solved.
While holding the grinder upside down, all four screws loose, the burr alignment seated itself very evenly, according to the design. I tightened the hopper screws and finally put back the undercarriage screw which holds the inner burr to the adjustment ring. Suddenly the smooth even alignment was not so. I believe my adjustment ring has a defect of some sort whereby it doesn't align in the exact centre and instead, once it is tightened, is now forcing the inner burr out of alignment again. So there is now an asymmetric squeaking noise when the burrs are just touching, though not as bad as before.

I was going back in to do a further adjustment, with the adjustment ring in place this time - hoping that this would maybe find a more central alignment given the peculiarity of my adjustment ring. However, when I was originally taking off the hopper screws the first time (for the initial realignment) the final screw did not fit snuggly around the head of the hex screwdriver included with the kit. This caused the driver to slip in the head. Eventually I got it undone by angling it more, but to my dismay I noticed when trying to make the second adjustment that the head of the screw has completely rounded and my further adjustments are now impossible as I cannot get it loose again. I think the tool has also been rounded. Watch out for this!

So while it is better than before. I would like to be able to see if I can improve it even more. If only i could get this final screw loose again!!!

timpish

#90: Post by timpish »

bean2friends wrote:...and typically grind a full hopper of 60 grams at a time for a full thermos. A couple of times during such a grind, I'll have to reset the bottom ring, so I do have some slippage. I manage it by keeping an eye on the black mark. As soon as I see it has moved a little, I move it back and relock.
Another instance of grind setting slippage. Color me critical, but that's a deal breaker from me. I would hate to have to be constantly watching that black mark while I grind. This is not a quirk. It's a design flaw. Chaff getting caught behind the plastic is a a quirk. Grind retention is maybe a quirk. Grind setting slippage is not.

I appreciate Doug posting the FAQ, but it only addresses the rings locking up and burrs getting out of alignment, not mid-grind grind setting slippage.