First impressions of LIDO 2 manual grinder - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
[creative nickname]

#71: Post by [creative nickname] »

I think it is good to keep things in perspective. OE is a tiny company, launching a new product. Compared with some of the kickstarter debacles we have seen, they are remarkably transparent and customer friendly. Their closest competition in this space is MadeByKnock, and he has also had challenges in terms of customer communication.

Lots of people get obsessed with wanting to know if their gear is good enough, and so they start hyper analyzing things. Look closely at the output of any grinder and you can find some fines. For reference, here is what my Lido2 produces at 1 full turn (with apologies for my crappy photography skills):

Sure, you can see some fines, but you can also see the remarkably consistent size of the non-fine grinds. Used for a pour-over in a v60, I get a nice quick draw-down, and a beautiful, balanced, clear cup of coffee. Trust me, I'm drinking it right now, and it is as good as any cup of coffee I have made with a grinder marketed to consumers. So if you have a lot more fines that I'm getting, and your cups taste muddy or you can't get quick draw-downs using paper filters, than you might have a problem. But just seeing some fines when you peer at your grinds is not an indication that anything in particular is wrong.
LMWDP #435

Advertisement
timpish

#72: Post by timpish »

With all due respect, Rich, I'm not sure asking for a device that is able to maintain a consistent grind setting is a quibble.

timpish

#73: Post by timpish »

Thanks Mark-that grind does look quite good. I suppose once you work out the quirks of how to handle and grind with the Lido 2, you can get very good results. WRT to competition, I would certainly include Rosco/Rosco Mini. Portapresso too is a small company (with exceptional service based on my initial contacts) that looks to have cracked the hand grinder code. I see a lot of comments about their products being prohibitively expensive and yet the commenters' equipment profiles (I'm generalizing) say they own Lido 1, Lido 2, Pharos, Hausgrind etc. Does that make sense? BTW, I'm not trying to be polemical just having a healthy debate!

OldNuc

#74: Post by OldNuc »

timpish wrote:With all due respect, Rich, I'm not sure asking for a device that is able to maintain a consistent grind setting is a quibble.
From your previous post.
timpish wrote:I do not have hands on experience with the Lido 2, but I have read nearly everything on HB.
What you are seeing is what a very small percentage of the total users with a problem which may be due to the learning curve or in some cases violent handling in shipping. The majority seems to be quietly satisfied.

With all due respect, my suggestion would be to actually use the grinder and see how it performs for you, and then comment.

Rappy

#75: Post by Rappy »

First off, to OldNuc, a big "Thank You" for the o-ring. I received it in the post today. Haven't had a chance to fit it yet. Thanks again for sending that out.

Secondly, to [creative alias] your grounds photo at 1 revolution doesn't look much like mine. It obvious then that my grinder is not set correct. We shall see what can be done about it.

To the person who says it is all about the taste not about the fines, I should restate that I have found my brews to be very bitter. Therefore it corroborates with the expectation from a great degree of mis-sized particles and plenty of fines, which is what I see in my grounds. Though, if I look down the spout through the burrs, it is not obvious that there is an alignment issue. The point being made by a few people experiencing a large amount of fines is that there seems to be a quality control issue here, or calibration issue. It would be nice to hear something back from the good folk at OE, whom I have no intention to antagonise... I just would like this to be sorted out.

timpish

#76: Post by timpish »

OldNuc wrote:What you are seeing is what a very small percentage of the total users with a problem which may be due to the learning curve or in some cases violent handling in shipping. The majority seems to be quietly satisfied.
Thanks Rich. Noted. So it's possible that the item could arrive misaligned to do bad handling? I suppose this could explain those fines instances. As far as the grind setting slippage goes, chalk it up to 'user error'...could you imagine a transmission that slipped from drive to neutral unless you had your hands precisely at ten and two?

Rappy

#77: Post by Rappy replying to timpish »

It's definitely not user error. My adjustment now slips even when the locking ring is totally binded to the adjustment.

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#78: Post by drgary »

Rappy,

It seems there's something wrong with your LIDO 2 that requires the manufacturer's attention. You have the option to return it to OE and ask them to service it, replace it, or give you a refund. If you can't get it adjusted yourself to your satisfaction the ball is in their court. If you return it please let us know the outcome.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

jesse

#79: Post by jesse »

As a prospective Lido 2 owner, following with great interest..

weebit_nutty

#80: Post by weebit_nutty »

Rappy wrote:It's definitely not user error. My adjustment now slips even when the locking ring is totally binded to the adjustment.
This is certainly possible. Even though both rings are binded completely together, slippage means the rings are moving together. In such a case, it's possible the slippage is due to oil or residue on the threads. So the obvious thing to try is cleaning the inner/outer threads with a brush and wipe it down with some alcohol and see if that stops the slippage.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?