Fiorenzato F4 - mod height?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Amos54

#1: Post by Amos54 »

Hello. Long time reader, first time poster. I just received my Fiorenzato F4. After 8 years, my Rancilio Rocky died (and I was itching for an upgrade). I originally purchased the Rocky to pair with a Silvia. I've upgraded to the La Spaziale Dream T and now the Fiorenzato.

Initial Impressions after a only few days (compared to the Rocky):
+ amazingly quiet
+/- adjustments can be a bit challenging (unwieldy while trying to manually grind... easier if you are willing to sacrifice more coffee)
+ very low static. the grounds have an entirely different consistency than they did with the Rocky (F4 showing less clumping, lighter, more free flowing powder)
+ have made great espresso after dialing in the grind
- user manual is horrible. supplemental manual downloaded at cc helped a lot
- taller than listed (I measure a full 16 7/8" with the hopper lid on vs the 16 5/8" listed at cc)
- flimsy, but large hopper with very loose fitting lid. one of the "legs" of the bean deflector(?) in the hopper arrived broken and is being replaced free of charge

Overall, I am impressed. The height is a bummer as it just barely does NOT fit under my cabinet. I have room just to the right of ideal placement as the cupboard does not extend, but <my wife> would love <me> to conserve some counter space.

Does anyone know of a possible mod to lower the height by ~ 0.25"?

I've considered replacing the rubber feet with something slightly smaller, but am concerned this would squeeze the cord coming out of the back of the grinder. The other option that seems like a possible option would be to trim 0.25" off the top of the hopper. My concern here is cracking / breaking the hopper and needing to purchase a new one.

Thanks in advance. Love the site and the info that can be found here.

Advertisement
gr2020

#2: Post by gr2020 »

Mine measures about 16 3/4" with the hopper lid off. Depending on how close you are, taking the lid off might work, and you could come up with something else to cover it with that isn't quite as thick...

Also, it sounds stupid, but you might make sure your hopper is seated all the way. If it's not all the way in, that could account for maybe 1/16 or 1/8.

Beyond that, I don't have any great ideas. You could build a micro-hopper for it...I've seen a number of folks here do that with other grinders for various reasons...

Amos54 (original poster)

#3: Post by Amos54 (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply. Mine measures about the same. Lidless I still need a fraction of an inch. Thanks again.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Amos54 wrote:Does anyone know of a possible mod to lower the height by ~ 0.25"?
Are you handy with a hacksaw? If so, see Shorter hopper and modifications on Mazzer Jolly or Robur?
Dan Kehn

one1speed

#5: Post by one1speed »

I've seen some people use a canning funnel, they're a fair bit smaller than a hopper, but serve the same purpose. Just need to be sure it'll fit the throat. May need to use some tape around the bottom funnel for snug fit. I'd imagine you could search and find info about this option. A Google search will reveal a lot of variations.

Amos54 (original poster)

#6: Post by Amos54 (original poster) »

Thanks folks. Some good options to consider.

Amos54 (original poster)

#7: Post by Amos54 (original poster) »

Quick update. I used a dremmel to cut off ~0.25" after applying tape to mark the cut. Turned out to be reasonably simple and took about 20 minutes. I quickly sanded the edges (again using the dremmel) when finished as the cut was pretty rough and had some melted plastic on it. Looks perfect with the lid on and fits nicely under the cabinets.

Advertisement
rockethead26

#8: Post by rockethead26 »

Looks great. Nice job!

Amos54 (original poster)

#9: Post by Amos54 (original poster) »

Thanks. Loving the new grinder so far.