Faema FP Grinder: 380v & 220v ?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
dmccallum

#1: Post by dmccallum »

Hi

I'm looking to acquire a Faema FP 1950-60s era or similar grinder for my next project but I'm struggling with a couple of questions about them.

1. Operating Voltage
The only ones I've seen so far operate on 380v 3-phase. Did Faema make a 220v single phase model at all ?

2. 380v 3-phase to 220v single-phase
Assuming there were no 220v models around, what options are there for adapting/converting to run on 220v single-phase supply?
I've seen various comment on this and there are folk in Europe who have done it with 380v FP grinders by using capacitors, however others appear to question the soundness of the solution, implying potential underpowering, overheating & safety implications.

Can anyone shed some light ?

H@R

#2: Post by H@R »

Hello
I am not an expert but i read a little on this topic. Few elements to answer you:

1/ I think you could find some 220V / single phase grinder.

2/ Voltage conversion: different cases
In some cases, it could be possible to change the voltage from 380 to 220V using a "star" or "triangle" wiring of 3 coils. If you have 6 different wires from the motor, that could be possible.

Switching from 3 phases to single phase is also possible. You should add a capacitor (to be calculated) to change the phase of one of the 3 coils. In such case, the motor loses 50% of its power and has a low torque. Starting on load could be difficult.

I would recommend you a device that generates 3 phases from your single phase plug. It is called "frequency converter"