FAEMA A6 motor removal

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
aaronmaestri

#1: Post by aaronmaestri »

I am in the process of stripping down a FAEMA A6 grinder and have hit a snag that I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with.
I have removed the lower burr carrier and the bearing cover in the grinds chamber then flipped it over and removed the bottom grill and base and the four socket head allen screws that hold the motor in place but it still feels very firmly held in position. Im wondering if there are additional fastenings that Ive missed? I tried a few taps on the spindle with a hammer but it didn't feel like anything was moving so i stopped.
Anyone have any experience with these grinders and pulling them apart?
I really wanted to pull the motor out so I can strip the old paint and respray it.

aaronmaestri (original poster)

#2: Post by aaronmaestri (original poster) »

So i thought id post a couple of photos of the tear down so far as there doesn't seem to be much info out there on these grinders.

This is the underside of the lower burr carrier, with 20+ years of rancid coffee oil and crap stuck to it. To remove this i have to jam a piece of wood through the grounds exit slot and use a large socket on the nut on the central spindle. The thread was also left handed.

Under the burr carrier was a plate with three screws that covers the top bearing

This is the bottom of the motor once the base has been removed. Technically there is nothing holding the motor in place but it is press fitted so it appears that its no easy thing to remove the motor.

A shot with the cooling fan removed from the base.

After some discussion with people who have a lot more experience than I do, it would seem that the motor of this grinder was never intended to be removed. Happy to hear otherwise from someone out there but from what i can tell it seems just too hard to get it out.

Coelacanth

#3: Post by Coelacanth »

The bearings will be press fitted to the shaft, if I am not mistaken, and will be holding the motor in situ. From what I see there, you will have to press the shaft back out of the bearings one way or another.

Paul_Pratt

#4: Post by Paul_Pratt »

The rotor should press out, or tap it gently whilst protecting the shaft with wood.

The stator on the other hand will be tricky, you may need to heat up the aluminium body and then it should press out. Careful not to damage the windings. If you plan on powder coating then it will all need to come out. The safest option is regular spray painting and masking over the motor so that you don't have to remove it all.

#5: Post by aaronmaestri (original poster) »

thanks Paul, thats the plan, Leave everything in place, just mask up the base and maybe try and mask up the vent holes in the top. Etch primer then spray paint. Will need to make a new portafilter fork - I always hated the plastic fork that came on these grinders. Most of the ones I have seen have been snapped off years ago. I have also turned a new upper burr carrier with a little more style than the stock plastic one. More pictures soon

#6: Post by aaronmaestri (original poster) »

Just out of interest has anyone out there ever seen an exploded drawing of one of these grinders? would be helpful to see.