Eureka grinder advice & possible upgrade

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Mb21

#1: Post by Mb21 »

So I've got a Eureka Mignon and now I've found the sweet spot (maybe the okay spot) of dose amount in the NS Oscar 2 and grind size I'm pretty happy with the grinder. Easy to adjust and doesn't need to be dialled back in after cleaning as top burr doesn't move the bottom does when adjusting the grind.

I find to grind for espresso there is some clumping (not to bad really as are soft and not bricks)

The top horizontal section where the grinds exit the burr chamber at the top of the exit chute hold about 3 grams of grinds and as I single dose (tight arse and want fresh grinds not yesterday's) I have to pick up the grinder, tilt forwards to get the remaining to fall out. I've removed the plastic wedge from the cross piece in the attached pic that I think is suppose to direct the grinds as found it was just another place for grinds to get stuck behind around.

I'm wondering if I remove, have to cut it out, the cross piece in the horizontal top part of the grinder where the grinds exit the burr chamber will these help the grinds come through and not just back up around this cross piece from the slight clumping?
I'm going to try a collapsible lens hood to puff the grinds out as hoping will move more air then my hand slapping the top of the grinder

Any mods I'm missing to help single dosing with this grinder?

I hear everyone saying how fluffy the grind is on their big commercial grinder. I've used a Robur E and remember how fluffy the grinds were compared to the Mignon. With the Mignon a 18-19g dose doesn't fill the NS double basket and any larger dose it hits the shower screen. Is the 'flatness' of the grind (ie not fluffy) affecting my espresso somehow or is there no benefits of fluffier grinds?

If I was going to upgrade from the Mignon what would be a good step up that I can single dose with that has low retention and hopefully is huge in size? Looked at the Nuova Simonelli G60 or Eureka Atom but wondering how much better they would be.

sorry for the long post!

Thanks

Mb21 (original poster)

#2: Post by Mb21 (original poster) »

Sorry for the long first post but thanks for all the advice and help I've have got from HB before I joined

Advertisement
3cordcreations

#3: Post by 3cordcreations »

Hopefully someone will be able to help you out. From the reviews I have seen on the Mignon, people were using it mostly for filter coffee. I haven't heard about how it works on espresso. I am thinking about the Atom myself. Seems like people are liking it. There are lots of nice grinders to choose from now.
Cheers.
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

RikC

#4: Post by RikC »

Espresso grind from my Atom after it has ground trough enough kilos to get rid of intitial clumping. Lightly roasted beans. I'm pretty happy now since it's also quite silent.

I wouldn't remove the declumper behind the burrs, there is just some retention. Get another grinder if you want to single dose.

3cordcreations

#5: Post by 3cordcreations »

Mb21 wrote:So I've got a Eureka Mignon and now I've found the sweet spot (maybe the okay spot) of dose amount in the NS Oscar 2 and grind size I'm pretty happy with the grinder. Easy to adjust and doesn't need to be dialled back in after cleaning as top burr doesn't move the bottom does when adjusting the grind.

I find to grind for espresso there is some clumping (not to bad really as are soft and not bricks)

If I was going to upgrade from the Mignon what would be a good step up that I can single dose with that has low retention and hopefully is huge in size? Looked at the Nuova Simonelli G60 or Eureka Atom but wondering how much better they would be.

sorry for the long post!

Thanks
Hello,

I actually bought and returned the Atom. I was getting quite a bit of clumping from mine, maybe it would have lessened with more use, but I had 30 days to try it while still being able to return it. I used all light roasted beans so they were not oily, the Atom has a long chute inside that may attribute to clumping... There is a lot of retention with the Atom also, it's not for single dosing. The biggest benefit of this grinder is the sound, very quiet and bigger motor than most in this price range. The reason it's quiet is because the motor is mounted to rubber bushings inside the housing and the top plate is screwed down with small side vents. The porta-holder is cheap and I think this grinder would be better suited for filter coffee with the included grinds bin. To make a big jump, I would consider the Zenith 65e and keep it for years. The g60 also looks nice and looks to funnel the grounds nicely into a portafilter, not sure about single dosing with either. Grinders are also a hard choice because most of us can not try them out. I'm thankful for the video reviews out there but not all grinders have many reviews or videos.

Also, from what I have heard the Compaks work better for single dosing, the Compak e5 is worth looking into. I'm considering that one also but it's a tough call. Let us know what you choose and how you like it. Feedback helps!
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

realdoctor

#6: Post by realdoctor »

If you really want fluffy grounds, you need to shift to a grinder with a much larger burr set than the Mignon or a conical grinder. I am a fan of conical grinders; even the little Tre Spade 39mm is far easier to use than a 50 mm flat burr grinder.

As I have commented before, my home grinder of choice is the Bezzera BB005. 48 mm conical. Grind quality is excellent, costs less than the Mignon. Mignon probably is better built, but my BB005 has been in daily use for four years and I still have no complaints.

Jim

jagobear

#7: Post by jagobear »

75e may be a good choice for upgrade, there are review on bb. But it is high speed version only.