Elektra Nino? I think I bit off more than I could chew - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bamaster (original poster)

#11: Post by bamaster (original poster) »

russel wrote:Oh boy, are you in for a surprise. Mine terrified my small children. It made the baby cry and sent the overly dramatic one scurrying to his room. It does work as advertised, and if you use beans that same way a shop does you're golden. It really is a unique thing. I absolutely miss the drama of it. Epic.
Sounds like my days when I had my supercharged Mustang GT. Off road cats and Flowmasters. It did two things... Kicked butt and chew bubble gum. And it was always out of bubble gum.

cuppajoe

#12: Post by cuppajoe »

Dang, a John Cartpenter reference.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

Advertisement
gyro

#13: Post by gyro »

I've got 3 of them (including Shadowfax's old one) and absolutely love them. Two of them in home settings, one in a cafe. Another 2 friends bought one each after using mine for home.

cuppajoe

#14: Post by cuppajoe »

bamaster wrote:Sounds like my days when I had my supercharged Mustang GT. Off road cats and Flowmasters. It did two things... Kicked butt and chew bubble gum. And it was always out of bubble gum.
Was that a Paxton?
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

doubleOsoul

#15: Post by doubleOsoul »

russel wrote:Oh boy, are you in for a surprise. Mine terrified my small children. It made the baby cry and sent the overly dramatic one scurrying to his room. It does work as advertised, and if you use beans that same way a shop does you're golden. It really is a unique thing. I absolutely miss the drama of it. Epic.
LOL ... awesome!

#16: Post by bamaster (original poster) »

cuppajoe wrote:Was that a Paxton?
My first Mustang had a Vortech on it. My last car was a Cadillac CTS-V. Before that a Mercedes E55 AMG. No matter what I drive, it's gunna be supercharged!

So I got a chance to power up the Nino. Consider my head blown! This is simply amazing. Fast, perfectly clumpless, and within 5 minutes I was able to pull a wonderful shot. I can't wait until I get some more time to perfect the grind/dosage. Red Bird Espresso never tasted so good.

And I don't know what you guys are talking about. It is NOT loud! It's kinda muted to me. I'll have to post a video of the Nino and Pro-M side by side. Nino is quieter. Totally relative, I know, but the sound is less noisy and shorter duration.

My only gripe is that it doesn't have pulse grind. I know I can program the One Dose button to be short, but it doesn't go lower than 1 second, which isn't short enough. But other than that, I'm completely enamored with this grinder. I'm going to drink a lot of espresso this weekend! Haha!

cmin

#17: Post by cmin »

Never used a Nino, just heard owner after owner complaining of noise lol. Almost bought a CTS-V, but can get a crazy discount with GM from wifes fam but now the new V has no manual trans and going way up in price. I gave up trying to find a CTS-V sedan last year, was near impossible to find one in colors I wanted, with manual trans and Recaro seats, plenty with automatics and regular seats though. I may try again come this summer as people start prepping for deposits and selling for the 16' V. Have a friend whose V sedan puts down about 640 rwhp with mods, just a tad quick for a sedan :mrgreen:

Advertisement
Dyrlaegen

#18: Post by Dyrlaegen »

I have to agree with Tony, I think it's relatively quiet grinder. Compared to my previous Mazzer super jolly and Major, the Nino has a more pleasent and deep sound.

I made a simpel pluse button on my nino:

#19: Post by bamaster (original poster) »

Dyrlaegen wrote:I have to agree with Tony, I think it's relatively quiet grinder. Compared to my previous Mazzer super jolly and Major, the Nino has a more pleasent and deep sound.

I made a simpel pluse button on my nino:
That's pretty awesome, right there. That's more than I would like to do to my Nino, nevertheless, it's slick.

For now, I think I'll just continue to overdose and wipe a little off the top. The grind, so far, is kinda fluffy so it creates a deceptively large mound. I'm considering using the built-in tamper, too. Not sure. I need to find my routine.

Follow up question... what's this hole on the base? Looks like it might be threaded. I couldn't tell. I don't see it on other Nino photos. Ideas?

keepitsimple

#20: Post by keepitsimple »

Threaded hole in the base could be to connect wiring for equipotential bonding. Statutory requirement in some countries especially for commercial installations.

I'm sure Elektra would provide for this, and under some legislations I suspect the connections also have to be visibly in place (although Mazzer put them under the base.....).

Of course, it could be nothing to do with that at all :|