Dropped Mazzer Robur E! Now lights on but need repair advice...

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
lsjms

#1: Post by lsjms »

Had a total lapse in brain activity the other day and managed to push my Robur onto concrete cobbles from about 1 metre, I was moving the coffee machine & totally forgot the grinder on the other side... So, to the problem...

I am just wondering if anyone can suggest what may have broken. The adjustment screw took the hit & the thing is unmarked, much to Mazzers credit.
Timer & "E" functions all fine, cooling fan kicks on, counts down etc.
The shaft and burrs spin easily by hand, again, can't see a single bit of damage anywhere bar the capacitors which got knocked loose from their mounts & perhaps struck other parts.

Before I start testing electronics and remove the motor can anyone think of an answer I may have overlooked?

Thanks.
LMWDP #277

lain2097

#2: Post by lain2097 »

Ouch. That sucks.

If it fell and just the adjustment took the hit, worst case I could see is a new adjustment screw and perhaps collar. If the threads still turn and very near zero the burrs whisper without wobble I'd say you're probably fine. Mazzer has a simple direct drive set up so as long as it's nice and square should be fine.

Only real damage other than cosmetics would be alignment of the motor drive and burr carrier. If they're all crooked well hmmm problem.

I'd back the adjustment off to very course and run it empty to try it.

Much respect to the real industrial build of Mazzer!

Advertisement
bostonbuzz

#3: Post by bostonbuzz »

I'd say that if the collar rotates as easily as it did before, then there was no physical damage.
LMWDP #353

lsjms (original poster)

#4: Post by lsjms (original poster) »

I was gutted to my core seeing a Robur on the deck and for such a stupid reason...

The adjustment screw bent 45 degrees then the collar took the hit, it would have then toppled over (another solid blow given the weight).

The collar screwed off as easily as new, the bottom bearing offers no more resistance than before when turning the burrs & (at hand RPM) I don't think anything is out. Pretty sure that it has to be a failed bit of electronics, my weakpoint in repairs...
I think a swinging capacitor has broken a part of the circuit board or similar, there is a relay in there with some adjustable settings made non adjustable at the factory with wax/red glue.
I was just praying for someone to say there's something between motor and burr that acts as a failsafe.

... I havn't checked the "hopper fitted" microswitch, does the timer still 'spin' with the hopper out or turn off the control panel completely?

I'll post a pic of the cobbles & damage later. Serious kudos to Mazzer, my fault it's broken but I don't think many grinders would have remained in one piece let alone offered opportunity to repair with minor parts.

Thanks for the input, any further suggestions much appreciated.
LMWDP #277

BTD1986

#5: Post by BTD1986 »

The hopper fitted microswitch could be the problem like you said. Was the hopper attached when it fell? If it was, its possible that the small piece of plastic that deactivates the microswitch could be broken and not pushing down on the microswitch. I have pulled mine out and jumped the wires on the circuit board. There are very detailed instructions on this site if you need directions on how to examine the microswitch. Also, it sounds like the capacitors are definitely an issue, without them, the motor won't start. I'm assuming you have already unscrewed the bottom to examine them? They can be replaced quite easily, once again, the instructions can be found on this site. I can send you some pictures of my Robur's insides if you need a reference on what it should look like.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by FotonDrv »

You are fortunate that it did not land on someones foot! Could have crushed the poor sole, those things are heavy :shock:

I have noticed something with my Kony-E, and I suspect that the Mazzer-E has it as well, that there is a switch somewhere in the system that will allow the machine to cycle/operate by itself (provided the power is on) when a vacuum cleaner is put to the spout of the dispensing cone! Really shocked me when it first happened.

I would be real surprised if it had anything to do with the hopper switch since there was no hopper attached and there was a wedge inserted into the safety tab to bypass that switch.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Fidel

#7: Post by Fidel »

The real question is how are you going to repair your floor after the massive crater that thing must have left.

Advertisement
Col_Potter

#8: Post by Col_Potter »

I wouldn't sweat the electronics and such too much, as they are easily replaced. The big worry would be any bending or jarring to the body that would cause the motor alignment to be off. From my understanding the motor housing is pressure mounted to the inside of the case then bolted in place with a plate on the bottom (at least that was the way on my old SJ. Good news is aluminum casting as thick as the Robur's doesn't bend easily, and would likely crack first at room temp. If it looks like it is good I would back off the burr carrier a bunch and turn on the motor, then slowly tighten to see if the burrs align properly. If they do and are able to grind a consistent shot, you should be good to go. If it is not aligned, you may have problems, perhaps not un-fixable problems, but problems.
lsjms wrote:Had a total lapse in brain activity the other day and managed to push my Robur onto concrete cobbles from about 1 metre, I was moving the coffee machine & totally forgot the grinder on the other side... So, to the problem...

I am just wondering if anyone can suggest what may have broken. The adjustment screw took the hit & the thing is unmarked, much to Mazzers credit.
Timer & "E" functions all fine, cooling fan kicks on, counts down etc.
The shaft and burrs spin easily by hand, again, can't see a single bit of damage anywhere bar the capacitors which got knocked loose from their mounts & perhaps struck other parts.

Before I start testing electronics and remove the motor can anyone think of an answer I may have overlooked?

Thanks.
The Colonel

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by FotonDrv »

BTD1986 wrote:The hopper fitted microswitch could be the problem like you said. Was the hopper attached when it fell? If it was, its possible that the small piece of plastic that deactivates the microswitch could be broken and not pushing down on the microswitch. I have pulled mine out and jumped the wires on the circuit board. There are very detailed instructions on this site if you need directions on how to examine the microswitch. Also, it sounds like the capacitors are definitely an issue, without them, the motor won't start. I'm assuming you have already unscrewed the bottom to examine them? They can be replaced quite easily, once again, the instructions can be found on this site. I can send you some pictures of my Robur's insides if you need a reference on what it should look like.
What did the capacitors touch? Nothing electronic I hope because they would have had a stored electrical charge and could have induced a voltage surge into another electronic part.

The machine will not do anything without the hopper installed unless you trick the machine into thinking it has a hopper.

Note the small bamboo wedge in the hopper disconnect microswitch position? If you do this be extra careful because the motor will spin! Fingers and anything else in its way will be eaten...

That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

jeebsy

#10: Post by jeebsy »

Col_Potter wrote:From my understanding the motor housing is pressure mounted to the inside of the case then bolted in place with a plate on the bottom (at least that was the way on my old SJ.
Mini and SJ yes. Major upwards etc the motor just slides out once the bottom is off.