Drip-optimized burrs for Mazzer Super Jolly?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pumpkinscastle

#1: Post by pumpkinscastle »

This just occurred to me. And I am sure if this thought is new to me, it has already been explored by many home-barista members. In search of a good grinder for drip, would it be possible to find appropriate burrs that fit the Super Jolly?

As things are right now, I don't use the Super Jolly anymore and have a Lido 2 for drip. I am afraid unless there were some specific burrs for the Super Jolly, the Lido 2 will do a better job for methods like French press, Chemex and Aeropress.

So, do such burrs exist?

bostonbuzz

#2: Post by bostonbuzz »

No, there are none, but you have options. Measure the bolt hole distance for the burrs. Look at mahlkonig's ~65mm burrs and use the pixel distance to estimate the bolt hole distance relative to the known diameter (65mm). If it seems pretty close to the SJ, they they might fit. That said, make sure the motors spin in the same direction.

Those burrs, however, will cost more than a baratza vario with the steel burrs, so it doesn't make much sense. Sell the SJ and get a dedicated brew grinder. Or, stick with the lido for drip and upgrade your espresso setup.
LMWDP #353

Advertisement
LukeFlynn

#3: Post by LukeFlynn »

The SJ always worked pretty well for Drip on my end, a local cafe even uses one for their farmers market pour over bar. I would use the Lido for drip and SJ for espresso... unless of course the Lido produced a large noticeable difference.

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

What does Mahlkoenig make their burrsets from or or how are they different from Mazzer burrs....I see prices that I could only be justified if they are made from unobtanium by elves during a bloodmoon eclipse....I understand large commercial burrs being expensive but for a quite normal e30 the price is sky high already...
Being used to exotic audio parts like hand made gold foil resistors and occ wire I am used to high end pricing but even there I usually see a relation between the cost of goods and the amount of work going into it.
LMWDP #483

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

The Mahlkonig 65mm burrs for my K30 cost $120 a set 2 months ago. Not Mazzer cheap but not too pricey. Not really suitable for brew grinding either. The 80mm Ditting machined burrs used in the Bunnzillas are up to $325+. It's hard to believe that Malhkonig needs to charge the $600 a set price for the 65mm cast Peak burrs I've seen posted. Bunn gets $200 a set for their 80mm cast burrs.
LMWDP 267

turtle

#6: Post by turtle »

Marcelnl wrote:What does Mahlkoenig make their burrsets from or or how are they different from Mazzer burrs....I see prices that I could only be justified if they are made from unobtanium by elves during a bloodmoon eclipse....
well........ What can I say........

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

Marcelnl

#7: Post by Marcelnl »

:D that made my day...

You shoukd know that today I stood in the garden in a drizzle roasting some greens in a converted Illy can and it looked verey bit as suspicious as this with smoke and all
LMWDP #483

Advertisement
pumpkinscastle (original poster)

#8: Post by pumpkinscastle (original poster) »

Well, it seems like this is a no-go then. I don't want to buy 65mm burrs from Mahlkoenig for the K30 Vario. Even if they fit, they'd still be burrs developed for espresso grinding.

I used the SJ many years for espresso until I upgraded. It's a good grinder at that. For pour-overs not so much in my opinion. You could call it acceptable but it does create too many fines. I've always had trouble using the SJ for Chemex extraction. The filter gets clogged and interrupts the brew quite early.

And no, I am not investing in a Baratza Vario for sure. My Lido 2 is a little cumbersome to turn but it isn't plagued by all the Baratza issues. I for one have sworn to myself that I never will be in a situation where I have to call the fabled Baratza customer service.

It's a shame as with dedicated burrs the SJ could be a fool-proof drip grinder. With the stock burrs, it is not in my opinion.

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

I'm preparing a coffee setup for the new group office I joined. What made sense in the small space was a Baratza grinder and a Bonavita 1900TS brewer. Well, I found a Baratza Virtuoso on Craigslist when searching for an Encore. The next day I walked into Compass Coffee's downtown location and they're using the same grinders on dosing scales for pourover. The cup I had tasted cleanly brewed.

It just so happens I have a Bunn LPG grinder at home that I converted to Ditting burrs. I'll be doing some informal taste testing that compares the two. I can also sift for fines and compare.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

turtle

#10: Post by turtle »

pumpkinscastle wrote: And no, I am not investing in a Baratza Vario for sure. My Lido 2 is a little cumbersome to turn but it isn't plagued by all the Baratza issues. I for one have sworn to myself that I never will be in a situation where I have to call the fabled Baratza customer service.
I've been a Baratza "fan boy" going back to when they started selling grinders to the public. Owned (and rebuilt) many of them. I had a Vario-W with steel burrs for quite a while (couple of years) before getting a Forte BG right after they released them to the public. I learned LONG ago that with the Baratza grinders you can't change adjustments without the grinder running on the models with plastic internals (all of them up to the Forte) unless you don't mind rebuilding them regularly (I kept shelf spares of the most common fail parts). Luckily they are very simple, well designed, and easy to take apart and rebuild. The fail parts are very inexpensive (shipping typically will equal the parts cost)

I've had pretty good results with my Forte BG so far. It is going over 2 years since I purchased it and I am now considering retiring my Preciso/Esatto which I have set up as a brew grinder (internal base setting to coarse) and getting a second Forte BG to take its place. Forte BG is basically an armor plated Vario-W with steel burrs

Grinding for pour over drip/auto is a "close is OK" window. It's nice to not have too many fines for press and vacuum but if you are filter brewing just about anything will work (well within reason anyway)

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee