Doserless mods for a Rossi RR45

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Chadquest

#1: Post by Chadquest »

I acquired a well used Rossi RR45 grinder for essentially free, however the doser is pretty much non-existent.

I have been using it for a year, just letting the grounds drop into the basket, but it's messy and there seems to be a lot of static electricity causing the grounds to stick to EVERYTHING.

Are there any mods, either bought or DIY, that I can perform to keep my place cleaner?

I've been back onto pour overs 100% the last few months because of this issue, but really want to start pulling again.

kolu

#2: Post by kolu »

I made a flap from a piece of metal (brass). It needed a bit of bending to prevent grounds from spraying to the right side but then it worked neatly and sweeping the chute after grinding with brush was easy...

hankua
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by hankua »

I've got a Rossi RR45OD with the factory installed funnel, and they have a stainless flap over the chute. Kolu's solution is pretty much what the factory decided on.

Chadquest (original poster)

#4: Post by Chadquest (original poster) »

Is brushing out the funnel pretty standard? Is there a common way to design a chute that lets the grounds drop into the basket easier without getting hung up on the slope?

I am going to have to get to work on making a flap like that. Do grounds not get impacted against the burrs with the flap there?

lain2097

#5: Post by lain2097 »

That black plastic drain adapter looks ghettotastic :lol:

Many years ago I had a RR45 stock with that huge doser, whilst I never really noticed a problem with static I did do the grind and sweep thing. Probably the plastic is exacerbating the static as it's letting the charge climb rather than be earthed to the chassis. Other than cleanliness (can't trust cleaning plastic completely as used tupperware will attest) I would think the manufactures chose stainless also because it's conductive. Honestly even Mazzers have the same sort of grounds impacting in the chute, that's something almost no flat burr arrangement can address.

Chadquest (original poster)

#6: Post by Chadquest (original poster) »

Has anyone seen what this thing looks like on a grinder? I am tempted to buy one and see how it works. Too bad I don't have a 3d printer!

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1385998/ ... oCxUvw_wcB

kolu

#7: Post by kolu »

Sweeping is not necessary, but I don't like to have old grounds there and use the grinder single dosed.

Beenbag

#8: Post by Beenbag »

Static is mainly a function of the beans/roast/ local weather, rather than anything to do with the equipment.
Check out a few posts on using a few drops of water in the beans when you dose, to reduce the static and clean up the process.