DLC coating seasoned burrs

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
leozava
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by leozava »

Found a local company that would be willing to dlc my hg-1 burrs but I was thinking about seasoning them first. Hoping for some feedback on this idea from anyone experienced with dlc coatings (frank) :wink:

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Terranova replying to leozava »

Sorry but I really cannot say how it affects your hg-1.
For an electrical grinder it builds up much more retention and static.

Advertisement
leozava (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by leozava (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply, so are you saying that dlc coating actually makes static more of an issue??

Also, what I was really asking was if you've ever dlc coated seasoned burrs?? I was thinking of seasoning them in coated so it would go much faster and then having them coated.

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by Terranova »

leozava wrote:so are you saying that dlc coating actually makes static more of an issue??
No, I just said that it is an issue for an electric grinder.
The hg-1 only works with RDT, so not sure if RDT compensates the low electrical conductivity of Carbon.
leozava wrote:Also, what I was really asking was if you've ever dlc coated seasoned burrs?? I was thinking of seasoning them in coated so it would go much faster and then having them coated.
Seasoning the burrs before the coating makes much more sense than after, yes of course.
They will get cleaned very accurate before the coating process even if you clean them by yourself.

Bluecold

#5: Post by Bluecold »

Coating only increases lifespan right?
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by leozava (original poster) replying to Bluecold »

Thanks for the replies frank, I'm going to give it a shot and report back in a couple weeks.
That's what I was thinking, get the burrs where you want them then dlc coat them so they stay there.

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by Terranova »

Bluecold wrote:Coating only increases lifespan right?
According to Christian Klatt the Mahlkönig Product Manager it has an impact on patricle size distribution.
Different coating different particle size distribution.

Source: Youtube "Grinding, what is the latest news" 1-4 (each is 15 min)

Sasa Sestic and Colin Hamon claim that they get a higher EY from coated burrs.
It could be just marketing because of Anfim and the Mythos. (They are both involved)

If I change from original to coated burrs on the same grinder (flat burrs), both burr sets exactly the same size, built quality, sharpness, same alignment, then I have to grind much finer with the coated burr set for getting the same flow rate.
Of course I cannot say if it is better or not, but it has an impact.

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

Seasoning the burrs before the coating makes much more sense than after . . .
"Seasoning" grinders means different things to end users. I defer to your knowledge of grinder/grinder burr manufacturing but this needs a little more objectively.

There exists ZERO pics of grinder burrs on this site before/after "seasoning". Possible, someone can post same.

If I were to purchase a 1K grinder, I would hope that it would work as intended "out of the box".
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by Terranova »

erics wrote: There exists ZERO pics of grinder burrs on this site before/after "seasoning". Possible, someone can post same.

If I were to purchase a 1K grinder, I would hope that it would work as intended "put of the box".
A grinder with "pre seasoned" burrs, ready for use "out of the box" costs a bit more than 1k 8)
Your statement seems contradictory.
On one hand you say that you want to see if there is a difference between brand new and seasoned, but on the other hand you know that the hg-1 doesn't work "out of the box".
So there must be something about it right ?

Supporter ♡

#10: Post by leozava (original poster) »

The grinder works wonderfully "out of the box" and does exactly what is says it'll do. I've had the grinder for a couple weeks and notice it "settling in" as the burrs wear in a bit but that's a well known fact. As soon as I put a little more coffee through the grinder I'll have burrs dlc coated and see how that goes from there.