Ditting/Mahlkonig Machined Burrs on a Bunn LPG

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Mohammad

#1: Post by Mohammad »

Hello :D

I read several positive reports supporting the replacement of the worn out burrs on my LPG with the new machined ones for the KR804. But reading what I found online, I still am not clear on the following:

- Is it a direct replacement, or are there some modifications required?
- What's an online source for the new, machined, 804 burrs?

Anyone knows?

From this photo (source), it does look like a direct replacement, but I thought I should check with you guys first.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

I believe that photo is comparing the older style Ditting pressed burr to the later machined Ditting burr. That was a direct swap. In the Bunn LPG & G series grinders the fixed burr has a larger OD then the burr that turns. In order to replace the Bunn burrs with the Ditting KF/KR804 machined burrs you need to have a spacer machined & installed on the Ditting "Top" burr that will replace the fixed burr in your Bunn.

Remove your LPG burrs & you will see what I'm talking about. Outside of adding the spacer the machined burrs are a direct swap.
LMWDP 267

Mohammad (original poster)

#3: Post by Mohammad (original poster) »

Thank you, John. Your older posts about your Bunn G is what encouraged me to want to do it. I'm very excited about the potential jump in grind quality but not sure I can make the required spacer myself. I do have a Dremel rotary tool with many attachments, do you think it's doable that way or is there a more fool-proof way to do it like an available part I could buy online or something?

Also to double check, are you saying that the Bunn upper and lower burrs are different sizes, but the Ditting ones aren't?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

Mohammad wrote:Also to double check, are you saying that the Bunn upper and lower burrs are different sizes, but the Ditting ones aren't?
That's correct. The OD of the Bunn fixed burr is slightly larger then the other burr. Otherwise they are the same.

You don't make the spacer ring yourself unless you are a machinist. Take the fixed Bunn burr & the "Top" Ditting burr to a machine shop. Ask them to make up a stainless spacer ring that they can press onto the Ditting burr so the OD matches the Bunn burr. Open up your LPG & take a good look at both burrs & you will see what I'm talking about.

As far as buying the Ditting burrs; buying direct from Ditting USA is your best bet over here. If you buy through a local dealer in your area make sure that they get you the newer machined style as I believe both types are still available.
LMWDP 267

#5: Post by Mohammad (original poster) »

Very clear now, John, thanks. I'll follow your advice and get the burrs out to study. I'll also check if Ditting USA website will sell direct to me and take it from there.

I vaguely recall seeing a photo of your spacer ring before, did you ever post such a thing online or am I just thinking of something else?

#6: Post by Mohammad (original poster) »

Do they look worn out?

Can you tell by just looking at them how bad they are?

When I took out the upper burr I understood what you were talking about, John. Here's a photo showing the ring thing:

I'll report back soon on what happens with Ditting USA.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

I have no idea how worn those burrs are. Based on my experience the machined Ditting burrs will out perform the Pressed style burrs in the greater drip range as they produce less fines. You will need to season the new burrs to get the best results. I ran 12-15lbs of old beans through the grinder to break in the Ditting burrs & saw a big improvement in the grind from what they produced right out of the box.
LMWDP 267

#8: Post by Mohammad (original poster) »

Looking at the groove where the upper burr is installed, it doesn't look like a spacer ring is absolutely necessary, at least to my duct tape DIY eyes, because the two screws are what holds it in place. If I go ahead without the spacer ring, there will be en empty space that will eventually fill with coffee. Except for a small hole where a wire exits that chamber. Maybe it is worth a shot without a spacer ring?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

The holes in the Ditting burrs are far more exact then those in the Bunn burrs which are pretty sloppy so you don't "need" the ring for alignment but it helps. That space will collect a lot of grounds which will contaminate the next dose especially if your burrs mount horizontally instead of vertically like in the G series.
LMWDP 267

#10: Post by Mohammad (original poster) »

I installed the machined Ditting burrs as is without modification. All seems fine. Good beans taste good, no extra bitterness from excess fines. At the French press setting, I see very significant reduction in fines vs the old Bunn burrs. I only ran maybe 10lbs on it so far to season and test. Only taste is impressing me so far, but not the visuals, there are still fines and non-eveness, don't know if that matters. Thanks for your posts, John.