Did I damage my Baratza Vario?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Lasvad

#1: Post by Lasvad »

I had a lapse in judgement and changed the coarse grind settings 2 finer settings higher without running the grinder. The Vario did not stale when I ran it. Could there be damage to the grinder that I am not aware of? I love my Baratza Vario and try to be super careful with it but wasn't thinking at the time!

Thanks guys!

HoldTheOnions

#2: Post by HoldTheOnions »

Not likely. If can't notice any difference in grind, then probably ok.

h3yn0w

#3: Post by h3yn0w »

Were there beans in the hopper when you did it ?

SonVolt

#4: Post by SonVolt »

nah.

Lasvad (original poster)

#5: Post by Lasvad (original poster) »

yes, Beans were in the hopper when I did it. For about 2-3 doubles worth of grinds after, the grind size seems to be off from what it use to be ( example, after the incident a 3h setting seemed more course then it use to be) but then corrected itself once I emptied the hopper and slide the fine adjustment through all of it's settings.

turbo290

#6: Post by turbo290 »

You'll be fine. I've done the same and it takes a few grinds for the Vario to settle back in.

turtle

#7: Post by turtle »

As long as you can change the settings (while running) and the grind consistency also changes the mech is still functioning.

If you change settings (while running) and the consistency remains the same (same grind regardless of setting) you would need to repair it.

Baratza grinders are not all that fragile but as they age they are less forgiving as the internal parts have more normal wear and tear on them.
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

tegee

#8: Post by tegee »

Lasvad wrote:( example, after the incident a 3h setting seemed more course then it use to be) but then corrected itself once I emptied the hopper and slide the fine adjustment through all of it's settings.
Assuming that your Vario is calibrated properly, at 3H the burrs are pretty far apart so you should be fine. When you start getting closer to the burrs touching at approx the 1M setting, that's where it is a bit more critical that you need to run the grinder to the finer settings.

It is my understanding, talking with the folks at Baratza, that you have no issues with moving the setting in the coarser direction, but more important when you're going finer because you are "pinching" the burrs closer together....if that makes sense???

Having used the Vario (mine is the older 885 model) the setting can be a bit "jumpy" (i.e.: not hold its settings). Now that I moved into a more titan grinder, which holds its setting like a rock, I now know how finicky the Vario can be and have to monitor its settings from day to day a bit closer. Still grinds like a champ, but requires a bit more attention IMHO.