Dialing in the pharos?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
gimpy

#1: Post by gimpy »

Trying, with as little time/waste/experimentation as possible to dial in the pharos for my Saeco Starbucks barista machine. So, I'm asking others what their setting is/are, knowing there are a lot of variables, just trying to get close here. The instructions say 1/2 turn from zero will choke the machine. I started off with an eighth of a turn beyond that. Sound about right? I tried two shots at that setting. This was with an 11 & 14 gram shots. Both of these shots gave me an ounce or so in under 20 second pulls. The taste was drinkable, not sink shots.

So, should I stay at that grind setting or try more/less? I'm mostly trying to get the grind size dialed in. I will work on the volume/amount later, unless there are other suggestions?
My grinder prior to this is the zass, modified (will still use it for ccd, ap, and fp).

beer&mathematics

#2: Post by beer&mathematics »

Welcome and congrats on your Pharos! I started with a Saeco Via Venezia (ie Barista) so can give some tips with temp control if you need them (I learned from Jack ie peacecup). Anyways, did you remove the pressurized portafilter already? 20 seconds for a shot is too fast and is exactly like the pressurized mechanism works. It also is not adjustable by grind size. If it is still pressurized, use google to search how to undo it (or you can buy a bottomless portafilter at SCG).

If you PF is not pressurized, then stick with 14g doses and dial in the setting so that it takes 30 seconds to extract ~1.5oz. Have you read Jim's advise on dialing in a grind?
LMWDP #431

gimpy (original poster)

#3: Post by gimpy (original poster) »

Thx, B&M. I have taken the guts out of my pf. It is not pressurized. I've glanced at, but not really read that link. I will do so tonight at home. I will tighten up the grinder setting just a little tonight, see if that will get me a little closer.

Thx, again.

beer&mathematics

#4: Post by beer&mathematics »

IIRC, the Saecos run super duper hot. I would wait til the lights go off and it is ready then turn the machine off for 30 seconds. Then turn it on and pull a shot. This helped manage the temperatures.
LMWDP #431

gimpy (original poster)

#5: Post by gimpy (original poster) »

Ok, thx. I will give that a try tonight. I actually been doing it just the opposite. I try to heat it up and use it as soon as possible, but will try your suggestion.
Thx.

beer&mathematics

#6: Post by beer&mathematics replying to gimpy »

That's what I thought too! I was a newbie then so had no idea how temperature effects a shot ;)
LMWDP #431