Dialing in the HG One

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
achipman

#1: Post by achipman »

Hi all,

I just received my HG One last night and got straight to work dialing it in (i.e. playing with it :mrgreen: )

Per Craig and Paul's instructions, one should zero the burrs and then back it off 1.25 turns. When I did this the grind was more suitable to drip than to espresso. So.... my questions are did I not zero correctly? How do I know when I've properly zeroed? Are the burrs out of alignment?

Re alignment: How do you align this bad boy?

Thanks all,

Andrew

P.S. Already loving this thing...
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

lerch

#2: Post by lerch »

I got mine unpacked yesterday and noticed the same thing when testing it briefly. After zeroing the burrs and then backing them off by 1.25 rotations, the resulting grind was very coarse, definitely more suitable for drip than for espresso.
LMWDP #481

Advertisement
ilVecchio
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by ilVecchio »

Same for me!

So, I re-zeroed the grinder, and backed of roughly half a turn until my espresso machine choked. Then, I loosened a quarter turn per shot until I was in the ballpark. This works.

In retrospect, I've used this method with every previous grinder that I've owned.

achipman (original poster)

#4: Post by achipman (original poster) »

I was afraid maybe I didn't zero correctly or maybe lost count while backing off the grind setting 1.25 turns.... This brings me to my only gripe (so far) with this grinder. The laser etched markings are unintelligible for me... I would pay extra money for the same collar with numbered markings instead. Call me bird brained but I can't remember if I started turning at the 2 dots with one offset dot or the 3 dots in a triangle... :?: :?

Whatever... once I get the thing dialed in and aligned (still working that out as well) I'm sure I'll never buy another grinder again.
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

lerch

#5: Post by lerch »

I was thinking more about this thread but unfortunately have not yet had any time more to get the new HG one dialed in.

If adjusting the grind setting from the zero point to 1.25 rotations takes the grind to the drip range rather than the espresso range, wouldn't that in turn mean that each step of the adjustment ring corresponds to a larger change in grind size?
LMWDP #481

mel5582

#6: Post by mel5582 »

Quick question guys.. what burrs are you guys using? My current setting is at 1.15 rounds from 0 and the grind is just right. When I tried 1.25 rounds from 0, the grind is just about right.. about 20 seconds for a shot..

lerch

#7: Post by lerch »

I am using the bead blasted Mazzer burrs.
LMWDP #481

Advertisement
ilVecchio
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by ilVecchio »

Interesting, I'm also using the bead blasted burrs.

erik82

#9: Post by erik82 »

I've been using the HG-One for over a year now and my espresso-setting is around half a turn from 0. 1 turn from zero for me is my grind setting for the Kalita Wave. Mine has the standard Mazzer burrs.

RedMan

#10: Post by RedMan »

I also have the Mazzer BB burrs. Had the grinder less than 2 months and probably only put around a kg of beans through it and I am at less than 1 turn for espresso, ca. 0,9 turns from zero. But there are a lot of variables at play here, alignment, beans used, the burrs themselves and how much they're seasoned etc.