Dialing in the HG One - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cxmudandrocknroll

#41: Post by cxmudandrocknroll »

when you say adjustment collar do you mean the burr mount or the just the lockring?

achipman (original poster)

#42: Post by achipman (original poster) replying to cxmudandrocknroll »

Sorry.. wasn't using the correct term. I'm talking about the locking ring. Here HG's part list:
http://hg-one.com/the-hg-one-grinder/hg-101/part-names/

The part I'm talking about is the collar you use to adjust the grind. Not the collar that is used to hold the outer burr... this was confusing for Craig too when I was describing my problem.. now I see why.

The bolt I was tightening was the axle cap top bolt which is connected to the main axle. The main axle is what I was seeing travel vertically.

Hope that clears it up. Sorry for the confusion :oops:
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

cxmudandrocknroll

#43: Post by cxmudandrocknroll replying to achipman »

thanks for clarifying. i'm not sure if i have the same issue. just one last question, was the bolt visibly loose or maybe i should say easy to turn before you fixed it?

thanks.

lerch

#44: Post by lerch »

achipman wrote:I didn't notice it loosening while grinding. I just noticed that while I was moving the grinder to clean and inspect (I tipped in on its side to inspect the burrs) the main shaft was moving vertically.. Loctite=bad idea :P This grinder is meant to be easily disassembled and reassembled for routine maintenance by us lackie customers. Once tightened properly (while the adjustment collar is very loose) the bolt will not move again during normal use.
This makes sense, I was trying to figure out if a loose bolt on the top of the shaft would be able to loosen itself more when the grinder was being used.

I'm glad to hear that you figured out and corrected the issue with your HG one. I am loving mine so far, even though I have only really been using it for pourover. I am looking forward to seeing what it can do for espresso after I get my Anita tuned up.
LMWDP #481

#45: Post by achipman (original poster) »

cxmudandrocknroll wrote:thanks for clarifying. i'm not sure if i have the same issue. just one last question, was the bolt visibly loose or maybe i should say easy to turn before you fixed it?

thanks.
There are always more questions... :lol: :P But I'm happy to answer them as so many here have been happy to answer mine!

The bolt was visibly loose and I could move it just by pressing my finger to it and turning it. Craig recommended loosening the burrs (using the locking ring, loosen or adjust the grind coarser) a couple of full turns. Then take the hex key that came with the grinder and crank that bolt down tight.

Another note... per Craig's advice you don't have to zero the burrs really tight... just enough that there's no gap (see my pics earlier in the thread).

If I may ask... what problems are you having?
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

#46: Post by achipman (original poster) »

lerch wrote:This makes sense, I was trying to figure out if a loose bolt on the top of the shaft would be able to loosen itself more when the grinder was being used.

I'm glad to hear that you figured out and corrected the issue with your HG one. I am loving mine so far, even though I have only really been using it for pourover. I am looking forward to seeing what it can do for espresso after I get my Anita tuned up.
All reports are that it is a stellar grinder for any coffee application. As to the espresso, its great. I'll be posting some more results of my dialing in for espresso later. (I left my notes at home :oops: )

As a teaser:

I had to cut testing short so I didn't have enough time to find the right grind setting to get the right flow rate, extraction appearance, etc.

However, I got shots that SHOULD have tasted awful... i.e. 20 seconds yielding 80 ml of brew! water faucet type gushers! and even shots that blonded in 15 seconds!

but... despite all I thought I knew about espresso.. they tasted amazing. Buttery, smooth, and bold all at the same time... They tasted beany :mrgreen:

For years I've been concerned that I just didn't like espresso... turns out I just didn't like incorrectly prepared espresso!

cxmudandrocknroll

#47: Post by cxmudandrocknroll »

the burr gap on mine when zeroed, looks a lot like yours before you fix the problem, but my bolts are not loose and i'm getting good espresso shots...so not really sure if i have a problem. i'll check the burr gap and the bolt when i get home tonight.

lerch

#48: Post by lerch »

achipman wrote:All reports are that it is a stellar grinder for any coffee application. As to the espresso, its great.
It has been working very well for me with my V60. My main problem is that my HG one and OE Lido 2 both arrived in the same week so I haven't had nearly enough time to start dialing in and characterizing both of them.

Out of curiosity, what grinder were you using for espresso before the HG one?
LMWDP #481

#49: Post by achipman (original poster) »

cxmudandrocknroll wrote:the burr gap on mine when zeroed, looks a lot like yours before you fix the problem, but my bolts are not loose and i'm getting good espresso shots...so not really sure if i have a problem. i'll check the burr gap and the bolt when i get home tonight.
I know you said bolts plural... I just wanted to check if you meant the bolt on top of the axle cap and the on the underside of the inner burr?

Before you spend too much more time here I recommend emailing the guys at HG-One. They are quick to respond and will give you a call if need be. I'm very confident they could diagnose the issue (if any) and help you fix it in 5 minutes over the phone. Glad to hear you are still getting good shots.

#50: Post by achipman (original poster) »

lerch wrote:It has been working very well for me with my V60. My main problem is that my HG one and OE Lido 2 both arrived in the same week so I haven't had nearly enough time to start dialing in and characterizing both of them.

Out of curiosity, what grinder were you using for espresso before the HG one?
Bodum Bistro... I had to massively updose (20-22g in double basket) to achieve the proper looking extraction, proper flow rate, etc. And at lower doses (16-18g) the coffee tasted even more terrible.