Damn you Vario for being so easy to use!

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jfrescki

#1: Post by jfrescki »

I've posted in other threads about my Vario calling it quits after three years (almost exactly). Knowing it would take several weeks to ship it, have it fixed and returned, and being annoyed that it failed plus another $130 with shipping for repairs, I bought a Super Jolly.

I've had the Vario back now for a month or two, but have stuck with SJ for espresso, using the Vario only a few times for drip. I just got a bag of Daterra Estate from Caffe Fresco today, and since I use the SJ with hopper, and I have RedBird in it, I figured I'd use the Vario to pull a shot.

Well, after not having used it since December, being recalibrated by Baratza during repairs, and not knowing the coffee, I made a best guess as to the grind setting. Sent 1.5 g through to clear out any stale coffee. 15g for my shot and....... perfect. Beautiful looking, 27 seconds, and great in the cup - nutty and milk chocolate with a little floral. Tomorrow, I'm going to go head to head with the coffee, but I want to sleep tonight.

I really wanted not to be impressed with the Vario since I spent the money on the SJ, but I am. :roll: My wife asked me if I wanted to turn around and sell the SJ, and I said "well, I'll have to will it to Gabe (my son), and the Vario might just break again in n years". And therein lies the rub with this grinder (IMHO) that you hear over and over in thread after thread (including this one). Damn good, but......
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

bmb

#2: Post by bmb »

Sweet Collection of Daterra has been the easiest bean I ever used.
The same grind for the lever and the pump machine, for singles, doubles with two different grinders, during over twenty days, always perfect (or near to it) results.

pacificmanitou

#3: Post by pacificmanitou »

My bar consists of two super jollys living out retirement with me, and a vario for experiments, drip coffee, and guest coffees. Some days I think about unloading the super jollys and buying two more varios, but some days I think I'll sell the vario and buy a roaster :lol:

Most days though, I just use what I've got and am really happy with it. The only reason I prefer the vario is the zero mess as opposed to .0001% loss that I get with the super jolly and the same problem with retention. The vario is quieter, but only just (at least on one, the other needs new bearings sometime) and the grind quality more than makes up for the fact a super jolly is not built for the home. With mods it's really close to the vario. Now I'm rambling.. Anyway, I get where you're coming from. The vario is so close to the mazzer and each outdoes the other in different scenarios, so I can't decide which I would keep if I had to pick. Price for used varied around $10 for the whole set, being right around $300 for each. I think the vario was $320ish shipped, so was one of the super jollys, and one was a local pickup at $300 even. l I'm really glad I don't have to choose, because I can't.
LMWDP #366

jfrescki (original poster)

#4: Post by jfrescki (original poster) »

Well, in a weird way I feel a little better after this morning. I used the Vario again, and two shots ran so fast I sinked them, and it wasn't the first two, it was the first and third. So that's something I either didn't notice as much previously or something new since the refurbishment. Also, and this always happened, I had the phantom retention where up to a gram of coffee disappears while single dosing and then comes out in a later grinding session.
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

pacificmanitou

#5: Post by pacificmanitou »

I think its the general inconsistencies like that that keep people using super jollys at home rather than migrating to the more home friendly vario.
LMWDP #366

bmb

#6: Post by bmb »

Because comercial grinders are solid and dependable, build to last a lifetime.

Socalsteve

#7: Post by Socalsteve »

I never trusted my Vario...the Versalab is very consistent for espresso...but I did end up with a Vario-W ( with steel burrs) for my Bunn Trifecta. Works great!!!