Ultimate Mazzer Major Project

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LukeFlynn

#1: Post by LukeFlynn »

Well, I was browsing eBay today.. (Uh oh) and I came across a 2000 Mazzer Major, with the built in grinds tray. Was able to snag it up for $500, I just couldn't resist. After seeing the burrs.. well I'd guess they are the ones the grinder was shipped with 15 years ago. I didn't realize the Major's burrs were $80! Oh well. I'm debating on what I'm going to do with the Super Jolly, I might keep it for decaf or some other coffee... or I might just sell it. So, just for the hell of it... what's all that different from the SJ and the Major? I hear the grind is fluffier, etc. How does it compare with consistency and clumps? Any mods I need to know of (I might go doserless >:D)? I mainly bought it for the price, speed, and.. just that eBay espresso urge.

Oh, it's missing the plug.. but the seller says he put power to it and it sounded good so I should be clear of bad bearings. I can get a plug at any hardware store cheap anyways.

Looks pretty clean (WAY less beat up than my SJ) for it's age anyways.

Ugh, crusty burrs.

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

LukeFlynn wrote: I didn't realize the Major's burrs were $80!

Chris Coffee Service has them cheaper than even eBay. I just received my new pair 3 days ago. I haven't found them cheaper anywhere else.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

LukeFlynn (original poster)

#3: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) »

TomC wrote:has them cheaper than even eBay. I just received my new pair 3 days ago. I haven't found them cheaper anywhere else.
Wow! Thanks, just ordered them!

espressotime

#4: Post by espressotime »

Wow!580$ for a 15 year old grinder. :shock:
I bought mine new two years ago for 740 euros.

#5: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) »

It's hard to find new ones under $1000 here. Even used ones tend to go for 400-500, and it seems they are becoming very scarce... I haven't seen one on eBay/CG/CL in a long time.

BruceR

#6: Post by BruceR »

I love my Major. It's fast, consistent and has fairly low retention. Coming from a Vario I find it requires far less adjustment too.

In terms of mods, adding sweepers to the doser vanes and the inverted cup mod made the doser on mine much, much more efficient. The schnozzola is also a great help.

Tons of helpful info here

http://www.fotchbook.com/faq/mazzer/index.html

and some modding inspiration

Modding the Mazzer
Modding the Mazzer 2

hankua
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by hankua »

Before you remove the auto flap, try using it as a deflector. It's still possible to get an acid brush in the chute for cleaning. And it turns the grinder off conveniently if single dosing.

Advertisement

#8: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) replying to hankua »

Yeah, I had one on my SJ. I removed it because of the awkward angle, If I do use it as a deflector.

I'll have to figure out how to remove the electronics from the Doser on this one. In my Super Jolly (6 years older.. really old body style with aluminum doser) It was pretty easy and I only had to bridge the pins, this one looks a little more complex.. but It can't be too hard.

contraflow88
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by contraflow88 »

LukeFlynn: you will notice that the Major is much more interesting in the cup than the super jolly. When I had mine I really liked that it was super forgiving and keep in mind this grinder likes smaller doses, (14-16g). The alleged speed is gone when single dosing it takes about 6 seconds for a 14 gram dose. Regardless I'm sure you will be pleased. One last thing don't forget to run a few a pounds through those new burrs.

sweaner

#10: Post by sweaner »

espressotime wrote:Wow!580$ for a 15 year old grinder. :shock:
I bought mine new two years ago for 740 euros.
2 years ago, 740 euros was worth how many dollars?
Scott
LMWDP #248