Custom Hybrid Terranova Grinder - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ds

#21: Post by ds »

Beautiful grinder, but complete Versalab copy, just so it appears done using better precision and materials and improved with the second bearing.

Enjoy it in good health. That puppy is fantastic!

pinky-and-me

#22: Post by pinky-and-me »

Gary S. wrote: That being said, the price range for my unit was between $5,000 - $10,000.
Did you have to pay any import duties? If so could you share what percentage overall compared to the listed price?

Thanks!

Gary S. (original poster)

#23: Post by Gary S. (original poster) »

ds wrote:Enjoy it in good health. That puppy is fantastic!
Thank you, David!
ds wrote: but complete Versalab copy, just so it appears done using better precision and materials and improved with the second bearing.
Well, that and some more. I did consider Terranova's mod of the VL, but to me the differences were appealing enough to choose the custom. I'm sure his VL mod is a wonderful choice as well.

Bikeminded

#24: Post by Bikeminded »

You know...it's nice that you posted some nice overall photos of the unit...instead of...like...an ultracloseup zoom of a knob with a vague description.

That is appreciated by the HB community.

#25: Post by Gary S. (original poster) »

pinky-and-me wrote:Did you have to pay any import duties? If so could you share what percentage overall compared to the listed price?

Thanks!
In addition to the price of the grinder, US Customs vig was 4.2% duty + .346% merchandise processing fee.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by FotonDrv »

ds wrote:Beautiful grinder, but complete Versalab copy, just so it appears done using better precision and materials and improved with the second bearing.
Not a copy, yes different bearing, different motor, different belt to drive a different larger shaft, different materials throughout with different method of attaching the top plate to the tower. The burr/grind setting is completely different as well and looks tough to machine. The only similarity is that is is a top feed single doser, like an HG-One is a top feed single doser, and it is even taller than a Versalab.

Terranova has done a great job and if you want one they are made to your specs as far as finish and possibly metals.

Wish I had one!
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Bikeminded

#27: Post by Bikeminded »

Gary...could you take a photo of the belt drive on the top sometime? Would love to see how that is designed into the upper structure. Looks different from the Versalab from these angles.

#28: Post by Gary S. (original poster) »

Bikeminded wrote:Gary...could you take a photo of the belt drive on the top sometime? Would love to see how that is designed into the upper structure. Looks different from the Versalab from these angles.
Sure thing Tom, will get a bunch more photos posted by tomorrow evening.

AZRich

#29: Post by AZRich »

Bikeminded wrote:You know...it's nice that you posted some nice overall photos of the unit...instead of...like...an ultracloseup zoom of a knob with a vague description.

That is appreciated by the HB community.
+1. :)

Sweet grinder. But does it lick your face, (and pee on the carpet) ?

#30: Post by Gary S. (original poster) »

Continued later.