Compak K10 - single dosing - wear?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
braekk

#1: Post by braekk »

Hi
I'm single dosing with my K10 grinder and I'm worried about wear due to turning the grinder on and off 4-5 times per dose to empty the chamber.
Does anyone have any experience with this?
Was thinking about the switch itself and of course the grinder motor, bearings etc?

LaDan

#2: Post by LaDan »

That thing is build like a tank. You shouldn't worry about it.

Nice puck, by the way. :)

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. »

I wouldn't worry about the motor but you could certainly wear out the switch. I run mine with a foot switch & haven't touched the switch on the grinder in two years.
http://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9080-Billy-S ... oot+switch
LMWDP 267

braekk (original poster)

#4: Post by braekk (original poster) »

@LaDan Thanks :D

@JohnB
That's a great idea. Although a foot switch would not work in my kitchen. Does a similar switch exist that is hand-operated? That I could mount on the power cord itself,

Edit:
Can I install an on-off switch on the power cord? Like a light switch?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

I installed my foot pedal on it's side up against the recessed kick panel under the cupboards so none of it sticks out beyond the cupboard base.

You could run it off a normal 15a/120v (7a/240v) light switch but you'd have to have a place where you could mount & hide the box. The 120v in line lamp switches only seem to go up to 3A & I believe that the 120v K10 draws 6A. Is your K10 230v?
LMWDP 267

braekk (original poster)

#6: Post by braekk (original poster) »

It's a 220v. (Norway)

I actually found a 2-pin 10A in line lamp switch in a local store today. Maybe I can use that?

Looks like this

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

This is a 220v/10a lamp switch? Do you have 2200W lamps over there? Must be designed to run a table saw or other large tool. Should work fine if you wire it right but I'll offer no wiring advice as I know your 220 is wired differently then the way we do it over here.
LMWDP 267

Advertisement
braekk (original poster)

#8: Post by braekk (original poster) »

You are probably right. It's not a lamp switch. But I guess I can use it. Only thing I don't understand is that under specifications it says maximum load 250v/10(4)A. Do you know what the (4) means?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

I don't but I see similar switches listed on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/10A-250V-Oblong ... 7004218%26
LMWDP 267

aerojrp

#10: Post by aerojrp »

It is more than likely 10A momentary, 4A continuous. Can you put a meter on the grinder to see what it pulls while grinding?

What does the actual switch on the K-10 look like? If it is a simple rocker switch, you might be ok just living with the stock switch and then buying a replacement when and if it gives up. You might even be able to search for one that is rated for more actuations. Look in the Marquardt catalog, you should be able to get those shipped to you.

Jim