Compak K10 set screw causes upper burr carrier to tilt - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#41: Post by Peppersass »

This has probably been asked and answered before, but can the new parallel locking mechanism be retrofitted into an older K10?

shawndo

#42: Post by shawndo replying to Peppersass »

I really want to know this also. If anyone has the new one, can you post a photo with the upper cover removed? or is anyone not too lazy to email compak ?
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

DanoM

#43: Post by DanoM »

Or you could call your Compak dealer... They might be able to get replies from Compak, but I never have had a reply to email I've sent to any Compak addresses or forms.

The new locking mechanism looks like it might fit an old chassis though.
LMWDP #445

canuckcoffeeguy

#44: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

shawndo wrote:I really want to know this also. If anyone has the new one, can you post a photo with the upper cover removed? or is anyone not too lazy to email compak ?
Here you go. I have a new(1 month old) K10PB polished. Hope these pics, with cover removed, tell you what you need to know. Click on the links below.

Also, as you'll see, it's equipped with an auger. Anyone know if this is a good or bad thing?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Lleg ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Lleg ... sp=sharing

DanoM

#45: Post by DanoM »

Nice looking grinder by the top of it!
That center auger probably makes a difference if you have a hopper full of beans by stirring that area.

My older K10 doesn't have comparable screw points from what I saw in those pictures. 2 supported positions might line up, but the lower 3 screws (2 visible in photo) don't have matching holes on mine.
LMWDP #445

spiffdude

#46: Post by spiffdude »

For info,

I am in Canada and recently ordered a K10 PB from a Canadian vendor and was expecting it to have the new parallel lock mechanism but it turns out it still has the old system. I was a bit surprised as one of my countrymen had ordered one a few weeks earlier from the same place and when looking at the pictures, we had concluded he had the new system on his. The only difference between us is that i ordered the black K10 PB and he ordered the polished K10 PB.

I contacted the vendor about this and he in turn contacted Compak Americas. It seems that they are not yet shipping out the new mechanism and will only do so starting mid 2015. Here is a clip on the conversation:

"We have not started shipping the K10 Barista with the new parallel system. We are not shipping a mix. The grind setting will not move regardless of whether the locking screw is tight or not. For home users, there is no real benefit between the two systems. It is only an advantage in a busy café under extreme conditions. You have been selling the K10 Barista for years, and have never heard one complaint of grind point shifting. We should begin with the parallel system in the K10 Baristas first half next year."

The reason for my interrogations is that i find Compak's grind adjustment mechanism a bit disappointing when compared to Mazzer's. I have some very visible rotational slop, even with the lock screw tightened (whether that translates to vertical slop remains to be seen...). It looks like the lock screw length might be insufficient and it's bottoming out on the cover before the little plastic leg can put sufficient pressure on the lower casing to lock rotation. I am wondering if i haven't tightened the 3 screws on the top cover enough. Since they are rubber mounted, the more you screw, the lower to cover goes which could compensate.

Anyway, might start a new thread on that.
Damn this forum, I've had too m..muh...mah..mmmm..much caffeine!