Compak K10 set screw causes upper burr carrier to tilt - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#31: Post by JohnB. »

DanoM wrote:Compak just over extended that flare on the left, and with the inertia of the doser vanes and lever "thwacking" it throws grinds over the edge of the PF.
I'm no fan of the thwacking noise so I just move the doser lever back & forth without letting it go. No noise & no issues with the grounds "flying" to the left. I use an OE dosing funnel & end up with a nice centered pile of grounds that gets a quick leveling, a couple taps to settle & tamp. Since I get nice pours & great tasting shots with no WDT required I'm not too concerned about the set screw "issue" either.
LMWDP 267

DanoM

#32: Post by DanoM »

Well, I don't let go of the dosing lever either. It's not so much the lever return to ready position as much as it's the inertia of the dosing lever pulling the grinds around that causes a little bit of grinds to fall to the left side of the chute and PF.
Of course with your dosing funnel you'll see no issues either.

I read a post from somebody that the OE dosing funnel doesn't fit in a PF under the doser. I'm guessing you made no mods? Perhaps whomever wrote about that issue had a taller PF since their heights can really vary.
LMWDP #445

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by JohnB. »

I only use bottomless p/fs & they fit fine with a standard OE funnel.
LMWDP 267

DanoM

#34: Post by DanoM »

Thanks. The naked PF does take off a little bit of height!

When I switched to the Strega my wife started asking, "How long before you get a naked PF? I like to see the pretty espresso." :shock:
She no longer drinks *$ anymore, and says I spoiled her for coffee.
LMWDP #445

contraflow88
Supporter ♡

#35: Post by contraflow88 »

DanoM wrote:Thanks. The naked PF does take off a little bit of height!

When I switched to the Strega my wife started asking, "How long before you get a naked PF? I like to see the pretty espresso." :shock:
She no longer drinks *$ anymore, and says I spoiled her for coffee.
Haha! This was pretty funny and it took me a while to get the asterisk and dollar sign!

By the way happy wife happy life!

bostonbuzz

#36: Post by bostonbuzz »

Compak knows about the set screw problem. If you buy terranovas point that a few .001"s are enough to make a difference, then any visible movement is likely on the order of .01" or more. When a notch of adjustment is a .0015" change in burr height, out of parallelism can potentially be a problem.

Compak has addressed this problem. See bobs post here SCAA 2014: Coming from Compak, some exciting developments
LMWDP #353

canuckcoffeeguy

#37: Post by canuckcoffeeguy replying to bostonbuzz »

Well, this has been enlightening!

Unbeknownst to me, until it was brought to my attention yesterday by a fellow HB member, I've had the new K10PB all along. This thread also made it clear to me.

I just bought my K10PB polished aluminum earlier this month. It looks like I have the parallel locking mechanism bostonbuzz (and Terranova previously) mentioned.

Also my doser looks different than the one DanoM modified. I can't access the doser chute in the same way, from above, since mine is covered.

Here are some pictures of mine:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3Llegm ... cslist_api

Bob_McBob

#38: Post by Bob_McBob »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:Also my doser looks different than the one DanoM modified. I can't access the doser chute in the same way, from above, since mine is covered.
I'm pretty sure they haven't changed the doser. Dan (DanoM) just performed a common mod by removing the metal plate.

http://temesblog.blogspot.com/2007/06/s ... r-k10.html

This does have the potentially undesirable effect of disabling the lever ratcheting mechanism on many K10 examples, though most people don't find it an issue.
Chris

Spitz.me

#39: Post by Spitz.me »

I didn't realize until now that I can install that 'dosing sector' highlighted in Chris' link. My K10 came modified with all the parts removed in the box. I never really took stock of what those parts are in the box. I hate that coffee shoots out into the dosing hole of the doser while grinding. I'd rather sweep coffee off of it than lose coffee. Not that this has been an issue when dosing, but it will promote a cleaner grinds tray.
LMWDP #670

DanoM

#40: Post by DanoM »

Bob_McBob wrote:I'm pretty sure they haven't changed the doser. Dan (DanoM) just performed a common mod by removing the metal plate.
I didn't actually remove the metal plate in a mod, but disassembled the doser to make my chute mod. Then I put it all back together again with the metal plate in place. I prefer the metal plate there so grinds don't drop straight out the doser, and some like it wide open.

I like the new lock design idea. Thanks for that link.
While it still puts a vertical force on the carrier they probably lock with less force. On my grinder I barely set the foot and it seems to be enough to hold. How much it tilts the burrs is beyond me to be able to measure with tools at my disposal, but I don't see a physical tilt of the collar when I do that these days.
LMWDP #445