Compak K10 set screw causes upper burr carrier to tilt - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DanoM

#11: Post by DanoM »

I don't know that my shot would live up to the Demitasse standard, but I'm seeing their notes come through. Since you get a free drink when picking up the beans I had an espresso shot, spooned the layers, and tried to remember something. (Then ran back to Kokekokko to finish my meal. I ran down between kushi to get the bag before Demitasse closed. :o )

The whole pedal idea has floated around here on a few recommendations. I can't take credit, but I love the idea. Sure makes the machine more fun to use.
LMWDP #445

canuckcoffeeguy

#12: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

DanoM wrote:I think after a 10 pounds of coffee you're on your way to break in. During the break in cycle you'll likely need to make more frequent adjustments to the grind settings, but as the burr edges get cleaned up you'll have more stability in the grind and all should be fine.

Perhaps up to 20 pounds of coffee through my grinder (plus 2 pounds of rice that didn't change much) I don't adjust my grinds daily even unless I'm changing beans. For the most part I've been running blends of beans and only making changes when a shot is slow or fast, and rarely have I needed a daily change in grind for that. (All Bodka Coffee, so it's roasted to their style.)

By the time you have passed 50 pounds through the machine it should be very stable on grind settings. For me that's a year's worth of coffee, so I'm patient and don't find the current "break in" anything I need to worry about.
Thanks DanoM. I'll just keep trucking along, grinding each day. I've also noticed the doser throws grounds to the left. Is it better to rotate the basket as you dose, to more evenly distribute? Or, keep it stationary, and then worry about distributing it around the basket afterwards?

Spitz.me

#13: Post by Spitz.me »

You'll notice from reading other user experiences that some continue to WDT or others manipulate the portafilter to get the grounds to drop 'evenly' without having to WDT. I WDT all the time using a dosing funnel and stationary filter while 'thwacking'. Some people will say they don't have to do any grounds distribution, but I do.

As for the break in period. I got mine used, but it hadn't gotten broken in by the time I got it. I noticed a significant change after a month or so of just pulling shots. So, it gets easier to use since it becomes more consistent.
LMWDP #670

DanoM

#14: Post by DanoM »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:Thanks DanoM. I'll just keep trucking along, grinding each day. I've also noticed the doser throws grounds to the left. Is it better to rotate the basket as you dose, to more evenly distribute? Or, keep it stationary, and then worry about distributing it around the basket afterwards?
Yeah, it does throw heavier on the left. I did WDT with the Vario, but don't find it necessary on the K10 myself.

My portafilter is naked, so I tilt it a little toward the right, set it slightly off on the left side of the PF fork, and then dose away. Smooth the grinds out either with my finger or a modded popsicle stick I use to pull the last grinds from the burr chute. Gives me a pretty level loaded basket this way.

I do want to tackle that doser a bit and see if I can't mod that heavy left dosing away somehow.
LMWDP #445

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by JohnB. »

DanoM wrote:The whole pedal idea has floated around here on a few recommendations. I can't take credit, but I love the idea. Sure makes the machine more fun to use.
The origin of the foot pedal mod for the K10 was this CG post: https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espre ... 305#508305 I tried it, liked it & posted the info on H-B.
LMWDP 267

DanoM

#16: Post by DanoM replying to JohnB. »

Thank you John, and thanks to TheMadTamper! I'd seen the recommendation last time through IMaWriter (sp?) postings perhaps as a recommendation from you if I recall, but good to finally see the post from 2010.

It really does work well. Timers would likely be good if I kept a hopper full of beans, but the foot switch works great for single dosing.
LMWDP #445

sqroot3 (original poster)

#17: Post by sqroot3 (original poster) »

I think the WDT still has very tangible benefits on dosered K10's. WDT beats the best compensation I can muster for the doser throwing left.

DanoM

#18: Post by DanoM replying to sqroot3 »

Okay, I put in a simple mod last night to deal with the doser aiming left. After I've ran a dozen or so shots through the system I'll pull the doser apart and re-evaluate. Looks like it will be an easy issue to address this.

So far this morning's shots were dosed far better, and nothing hanging on the left side of the PF. A quick finger groom and it was ready to tamp. Again, no spritzing yet, although I should coarsen the grind a little to make sure.
LMWDP #445

canuckcoffeeguy

#19: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

DanoM wrote:Okay, I put in a simple mod last night to deal with the doser aiming left. After I've ran a dozen or so shots through the system I'll pull the doser apart and re-evaluate. Looks like it will be an easy issue to address this.
DanoM, what kind of mod?

DanoM

#20: Post by DanoM replying to canuckcoffeeguy »

Although my testing isn't done I think this will work. (I'll document with photos later once my testing is complete.)

Looking down at the doser chute you'll notice it's made in a pie wedge like shape. If we exclude the left side "flare" from the chute it looks like the problem will be solved.
I used a piece of HDPE plastic from a water bottle and some aluminum tape to make a wedge on the left side of that chute and square off that edge. Just 1 piece of tape and 1 flat piece of plastic. After it's in place then trim off the bottom level with the other chute edge guides.

The steepness of the mod and the chute should keep this clean with no retention. At least that's what I'm hoping for... :)
LMWDP #445