Compak K10 Pro - Collar part number

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
shawndo

#1: Post by shawndo »

I've seen the thread/photo a bunch of times, but for the life of me, can't find it any more.

There is a photo on HB somewhere of 2 versions of the black plastic collar that says "Coarse/Fine" on it, one on top of the other.

One of the versions has a smaller gap cut out of it. I think I read that it was for use when you don't use the finger guard or something like that.
In the parts list, it shows 2 options for that part K03010 or K03015. Can anyone tell me which one is which?
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

damonbowe

#2: Post by damonbowe »

Are you talking about the can adapter?

Advertisement
Bob_McBob

#3: Post by Bob_McBob »

Shawn is talking about this part:

K03010 FRONT COVER FOR WBC (COMPETITION)
K03015 FRONT COVER WBC (TO USE WITH PROTECTOR)
Chris

shawndo (original poster)

#4: Post by shawndo (original poster) »

Exactly it! I guess I'm looking for the "competition" version.

I also found the spreadsheet with that info on compak's website since I had a verbatim quote to search for. Perfect.

damonbowe

#5: Post by damonbowe »

Why are you looking to get this? I'm enjoying my k10 fresh, but always looking for improvements.

#6: Post by shawndo (original poster) replying to damonbowe »

It's just aesthetic for me although the "competition" one might prevent grounds from getting into the insides. Just a smaller gap on the competition version. Also I think this would only apply to the pro version:
ripped these photos from other threads:

vs

NeedBeans

#7: Post by NeedBeans »

Sean,

Check your box. My K10 (bought Aug 2012, drop shipped from Compak) came with both. I removed the finger guard and swapped to K03010.

Paul
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." —Oscar Wilde

Advertisement

#8: Post by shawndo (original poster) »

Just double checked and it's not in there. drop-shipped just 2 weeks ago. Maybe they stopped including them. I'll contact compak directly and see what they say.

#9: Post by shawndo (original poster) »

Officially confirmed. Compak does not include this extra collar part anymore. It needs to be purchased separately.

pShoe

#10: Post by pShoe »

There were two 2 things I was disappointed about after reading the K10 WBC/PB threads.

1: That it didn't come with the "competition" collar anymore.
2: They started to leave the adjustment knob unfinished.

I was happily surprised to find the "competition" collar included in the box, and a finished adjustment knob screw cap while unboxing the K10 PB. I was about to order a "competition" collar for $22, but by the time I called Compak to include one in my shipment they said it "just" shipped out. Kinda glad I was going back and forth on ordering one or not. The procrastinating saved me a bit of $. It is kinda odd that they didn't just mention it comes with one when I was asking to include one in the shipment. I guess it is not uncommon for people to order extra spare parts...??

The adjustment knob is not as nice as the ones that came on the original orders, but it is way better than nothing at all.

I was up and running with the Chute Mod in less than 20 mins. First grind had a retention of 1.5g. I typically get 1.2g retention on the B Vario after it is cleaned. Subsequent grinding showed less and less retention. I think most of the retention is occurring in the doser. Quite a bit gets left behind on the side of the doser, and on the top of the dose hole cover (part K00719). In due time I'll be modding the sweeper and removing part K00719. Afterward, I have to imagine the retention will be equal to or better than what I experience with the Vario or Pharos, which is around .2g give or take.