Compak K10 Pro Barista - Tragic Death - Cross Threaded

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

My beloved Compak K10 Pro Barista grinder has met a terrible end. I had a barista trying to take it apart to clean it and when they were screwing the top burrs section back on to the base they cross threaded it. :cry:

It is really well and truly jammed. Before I could get a look at it, they in a state of panic really wrenched on it and bent the little metal adjuster nub as well, it seems to me it is totally toast. :cry:

Emailed Compak back and forth, they were very helpful and said if I got it to them and the repairs were minor they would help me, but the shipping to send it there and back to Spain from China seems just not worth the expense. They do now have a Taiwan repair center closer to me, so I might get one more shipping estimate before it goes to grinder heaven. I am afraid even if I ship to Taiwan the repairs will quickly escalate to the price of a new machine, once two way shipping is added.

So, I am left only with Super Jolly, and Pharos at the moment. I am considering ordering another same Compak K10, as I am really hooked on my single dose grinding method with the finger guard removed, add the doser sweep mod and the grind quality, I still do not see any reason to go with another grinder.

I am back reading up on the K10 Fresh (I feel like too much retention after trying, really tall), VL M3, Robur (too expensive, too big), Ceado E92 (looks really interesting), grinder review threads again, as it will for sure be one of these 4 grinders or the K10 PB that I get.
LMWDP #371

Advertisement
orphanespresso
Sponsor

#2: Post by orphanespresso »

Hi Jeremy! Seems to me that the party who killed the grinder should PAY for the repair or replacement, what's to worry? Wasn't that part of the logic for taking it in for "professional" service? Anything that goes wrong is not your fault/problem? I know, I know....I am old school but somebody owes you a replacement grinder...just my 2 cents. Incompetence should neither be overlooked or rewarded IMO.

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

orphanespresso wrote:... I know, I know....I am old school but somebody owes you a replacement grinder... Incompetence should neither be overlooked or rewarded IMO.
Not old school at all unless responsibility is a thing of the past, and it will only become so if we allow it to.

You Touch.
You Break.
You Pay.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Bak Ta Lo (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) »

I should be more clear, the barista was MY barista, my employee, and they are a stellar employee and person, that has zero means to repay. I know things happen sometimes and this person has more than earned a pass for dealing with me for many many months, :D

Lesson learned for me, I had shown them how to do it once but did not say that no one else should try it. It can be a little tricky to thread that up without getting it crossed.

Upside? Time to shop for new toys!
LMWDP #371

damonbowe

#5: Post by damonbowe »

I'm glad you aren't taking it out on the barista! Good luck with your grinder search.

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#6: Post by orphanespresso »

That's quite a bit different.....yes, things happen even with the best intentions.

Your further explanation makes this sound like a business grinder. I vote Robur (not that I have ever had one, just see them all the time in cafés that's for sure).

Good attitude, by the way, Jeremy :) .

Bak Ta Lo (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) »

The Robur is in my head, every time a grinder purchase rolls around it is on the top 5 list.

I try to remember that expression, "don't sweat the small stuff.....and it's all small stuff" when it comes to broken grinders, cracked syphons, dropped V60's, spilled coffee beans, and yes literally spilled milk. :P
LMWDP #371

Advertisement
Beenbag

#8: Post by Beenbag »

Before you give up on it, find a local "mechanic" you trust and ask him to have a go with a "thread file" on the internal threads.;
It's very unlikely they are totally destroyed , and a good man with "fitting" skills will be able to recover the threads.
You might want to buy a new adjuster collar though .

hankua
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by hankua »

Exactly!

I would try using a strap wrench to extract the collar before dropping it off with a mechanic. Asia is more of a "fix it" culture than our "toss it" here in NA.

Bluecold

#10: Post by Bluecold »

Indeed.

Even if you completely scramble the first few threads, it seems that there will be enough threads left to hold the burr carrier in place. (photo from other K10 thread)
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."