Compak K10 Pro Barista - Tragic Death - Cross Threaded - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
civ

#31: Post by civ »

Hello:
Bak Ta Lo wrote:... and when they were screwing the top burrs section back on to the base they cross threaded it.
Just curious ...
How did you manage to work it out?

Cheers,

CIV

Bak Ta Lo (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) »

civ wrote:Hello:

Just curious ...
How did you manage to work it out?

Cheers,

CIV
CIV,

The status update is that the grinder is at the machine shop. We had to look around, and all the local machinists said to try one place, a guy down by the shipping docks that "can fix anything". We went to see him and he said, no, I cannot do it, I am too busy. Then we stayed and talked told him, told him how crazy I was for coffee, and how no one else would help, he finally broke down and said he would do it! He said his father had learned to make espresso from the local Portuguese people and had a similar grinder in their house when he was a kid.

The grinder is there now at his shop along with several gigantic boat engines, broken motorcycles, car engines, and a million other things he says people want him to fix. I will just give him some time and wait for him to hopefully work some magic.

Here is a picture of his shop, awesome, he has every tool imaginable crammed in this tiny shop.
LMWDP #371

civ

#33: Post by civ »

Bak Ta Lo wrote: ... his shop along with several gigantic boat engines, broken motorcycles, car engines, and a million other ...
That was the guy you were looking for.
He'll need time but he'll do it.
Do let us know how it went.

Best,

CIV

LaDan

#34: Post by LaDan »

Bak Ta Lo wrote:CIV,

The status update is that the grinder is at the machine shop. We had to look around, and all the local machinists said to try one place, a guy down by the shipping docks that "can fix anything". We went to see him and he said, no, I cannot do it, I am too busy. Then we stayed and talked told him, told him how crazy I was for coffee, and how no one else would help, he finally broke down and said he would do it! He said his father had learned to make espresso from the local Portuguese people and had a similar grinder in their house when he was a kid.

The grinder is there now at his shop along with several gigantic boat engines, broken motorcycles, car engines, and a million other things he says people want him to fix. I will just give him some time and wait for him to hopefully work some magic.

Here is a picture of his shop, awesome, he has every tool imaginable crammed in this tiny shop.
<image>
I know this kind of people. These are spare parts of a time machine. Just tell him to take your grinder to the day before the cross threading happened, and tell your employee not to clean your grinder.

Do expect him to first strongly deny any knowledge of said time machine though. They always do.

DanoM

#35: Post by DanoM »

LaDan wrote:Do expect him to first strongly deny any knowledge of said time machine though. They always do.
Yeah, first rule of time travel is, "Always deny time travel." Doesn't help if you go to the government or police either, as they are all in on the conspiracy to keep the ultimate control. :mrgreen:

Best of luck in getting the threads cleaned up. You need to get that K10 back in service!
LMWDP #445

Bak Ta Lo (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) »

Guess who is back on the bench!

I do not have a satisfying story from the machinist about the repair to round out the posts, as he and I only communicated through my tears of joy and wad of sweaty cash. Funny thing is he also took apart the doser, cleaned it, removed my velcro sweepers and all. It is like a new grinder, with just a few character building scuffs and scrapes in the chrome. 8)

Great to be back grinding in the K10!
LMWDP #371

bean2friends

#37: Post by bean2friends »

Others might be interested to know, last week I finally opened up my K10PB. I've had it 3 years and was concerned, based on what others say, that I was being lax in my cleaning routine. Based on the experience of Bak Ta Lo, I held my breath while putting her back together. This is a daily grinder - typically I grind 72 grams a day for 4 double shots plus a little sacrifice to the coffee gods. I thought I'd find a great build up of old coffee in the chamber. I did not. There was, in fact, so little build up that I will wait a lot longer than 3 years before I risk cross threading again. But, at least now I know.