Compak K10 Pro Barista - Tragic Death - Cross Threaded - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DanoM

#11: Post by DanoM »

Yes, that post in the picture above can be removed. If that's the one that got bent you should be okay.

Don't trash the grinder at the very least. If it can't be fixed to commercial quality adjustment and service you can surely use it at home. (My K10 likes having a private home! :) )
Have someone work on cleaning up the threads a bit as suggested, and if the carrier needs replaced it's cheaper than a new grinder! Even if it's just a home grinder it will be great. Those threads are pretty tight to begin with, so use a toothbrush or something to clean out all grooves before attempting to re-assemble and a very light lubricant to make things a little easier in turning. (I use a thin coat of synthetic, silicone oil.)

Even though a machinist would look at the threads and notice they are reverse threads you should remember these are backwards of normal. Looking from the top of the grinder, turning the burr holder CLOCKWISE will loosen it.
Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you have someone inexperienced working on it!
LMWDP #445

civ

#12: Post by civ »

Beenbag wrote:Before you give up on it ...
No ...
Don't give up on it.
Find a reputable local machinist (with lathes and such) and take it to him.
He'll know how to deal with it adequately and for a much better price than the cost of a new one.

You could also try shooting a PM to Paul Pratt, he may be able to steer you towards someone knowledgeable in the neighbourhood.

Cheers,

CIV

Lockman

#13: Post by Lockman »

Saw a used Robur E on Ebay yesterday. Can anyone even break one?
There was a couple of doser ones as well.
Seems like if you dropped one it would go thru the wood floor and concrete slab in the basement as well with minimal damage. One of the used ones looked like it was over 30 years old!
LMWDP #226.

"It takes many victims to make a culinary masterpiece"

Beenbag

#14: Post by Beenbag »

I'm not familiar with the k10, but from that picture previously it looks like the whole threaded insert can be removed and replaced if necessary ( the 3 screws ?)
Can someone more familiar check that ?
Another repair option if you cannot find a good machinist .

Bluecold

#15: Post by Bluecold »

At the risk of steering this thread offtopic
http://www.zcafe.ca/site/images/article ... _burrs.jpg
This is a picture of the K10 grind chamber. The threads are cut into the grind chamber, the three screws Richard mentions merely hold the outer housing in place.
The Faema MC has a separate machined insert containing the threads such as Richard describes. You can buy it separately in a set containing the upper burr carrier as well. Price on request...
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

DanoM

#16: Post by DanoM »

Beenbag wrote:I'm not familiar with the k10, but from that picture previously it looks like the whole threaded insert can be removed and replaced if necessary ( the 3 screws ?)
Can someone more familiar check that ?
Another repair option if you cannot find a good machinist .
If you are talking about the burr carrier, yes it can be replaced. Quite likely that if they get the machine threads clean enough to thread that the burr carrier might still have some cross threading tendency, so replacement might be the best option.

Here are some part numbers that might help out if you want to talk about ordering
Upper burr carrier with burrs part number
K03206W (You should be able to get this without burrs too I think.)

Looks like the lower burr chamber, that includes threading might be part number:
K03551
or K03101X
LMWDP #445

Beenbag

#17: Post by Beenbag »

Bluecold wrote:At the risk of steering this thread offtopic
http://www.zcafe.ca/site/images/article ... _burrs.jpg
This is a picture of the K10 grind chamber. The threads are cut into the grind chamber, the three screws Richard mentions merely hold the outer housing in place. ...
Ahh ! that is exactly as i thought, the entire outer threaded part (grind chamber ?) is separate to the main grinder body casting..and as such replaceable ! ..if necessary.. (a parts price quote would be nice ?)
.. but i still believe you could clean out the damaged threads.

bostonbuzz

#18: Post by bostonbuzz »

If it's toast, post it in the buy/sell forum for some DIY'ers to resurrect. :twisted:
LMWDP #353

Bak Ta Lo (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) »

OK, thanks everyone for the insight, I never even considered trying many of the above options, I will get a strap wrench and see if I can at least get it to come apart. I will update the fate of the K10, I really would like to get her back in operation!
LMWDP #371

civ

#20: Post by civ »

Bak Ta Lo wrote:... would like to get her back in operation!
Bak Ta, in my opinion and from what I have read, I think your using a strap wrench has little chance of getting you there. IMO, what you need is a seasoned machinist's expert hands and eyes.
But then that's just me and my $0.02, you may well get away with it. :wink: