Compak K10 grinder shipping issue

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
politbureau

#1: Post by politbureau »

Quick question for the experts: a friend just purchased a used K10PB on my advice, and when it arrived, he discovered that the grind setting had been twisted all the way to its finest, where it had stopped and stuck.

He was able to un-stick the grinder (he had undone the set screw already), but he is concerned there is damage to the burrs. As I have never actually disassembled mine, I am unsure if he should be concerned, and should ask for a refund.

Can these burrs be damaged by gently bottoming the grind setting? I'm also curious, as I've done this myself by accident once or twice (while the machine was empty of beans and not running), and don't know if there is a stop to prevent damage to the burrs.

Thanks!
Many beans were harmed in the making of this barista.

pShoe

#2: Post by pShoe »

I don't consider myself am expert, but shipping grinders set to "zero" is a common practice. My Pharos was "zeroed" when it arrived and my K10 was more or less at zero when I unboxed it. It was not stuck or jammed up though... I really doubt there is any damage to the burrs, but I would personally inspect them if it was something I was concerned about, and I would grind some beans and examine what it produced. How was the condition of the box?