Compak K10 Fresh - Zero grind retention so far

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
damonbowe

#1: Post by damonbowe »

Setup: K10 Fresh with small hopper.

Grind retention: <0.1 grams on single dosing of around 27 grams (pour over)

I don't have an espresso machine right now so I've been using my K10 Fresh for making pour over coffee. It's easy to adjust the K10 because of the digital scale. I'm not sure if it's off by a little bit when you change digital numbers (for instance, is there a high 35 and a low 35 setting?). Measuring 27 grams of beans into the hopper results in exactly 27 grams of ground coffee out the other end. My scale is not a high end science scale. I'm using various Counter Culture coffees right now.

Prior to purchasing the K10 Fresh the big knock on this grinder from HB was that it had all this miserable grind retention and was messy. In my experience, there is minimal mess produced by cling of grinds to the very end of the exit chute.

Although the thing takes up a lot of space on the counter, it looks great, it's super fast, it's much easier to dial in than other grinder brands, and with zero grind retention I'm pretty happy with the purchase overall.

Bob_McBob

#2: Post by Bob_McBob »

damonbowe wrote:Measuring 27 grams of beans into the hopper results in exactly 27 grams of ground coffee out the other end.
Now bump and brush the chute and grind chamber a few times and see how much more loose ground coffee comes out. All grinders behave as you describe without any extra user intervention to clear loose coffee. It doesn't just magically disappear inside the grinder.
Chris

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

IMO, "27 in and 27 out" is a valid statement only if:
1 - You are weighing to the nearest whole gram (as in 27.0 or even 27.00)
2 - The grinder was completely empty of grounds before grinding
3 - You are using an external scale and not depending on one built into or reported by the grinder
While I have not used a Compak grinder, I do admire the K10 Fresh and if I lost my mind and wanted to replace my Mazzer Kony with another brand of grinder, the "Fresh" would be near or at the top of the list. But i do not see that happening.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Spitz.me

#4: Post by Spitz.me replying to Randy G. »

+ 1 Randy and Chris.

If the grinder is fully loaded, meaning it sits at capacity within the grind chamber and chute with a hopper of beans, it should dispel what you ask. But that doesn't mean it's 27g of the coffee you added to the hopper.

If Compak hasn't changed the K10 Fresh at all, then I can't imagine why your Fresh would function differently than others where retention is a concern and why the droves of K10 PB users haven't flocked to the new 'upgrade'.
LMWDP #670

damonbowe (original poster)

#5: Post by damonbowe (original poster) »

I bump and brush every time and observed that the grinds are not sticking. I wasn't even able to measure the grinds that did stick by weight because there was so little sticking and my scale is not good enough. However, without a still table, I would suggest that most scales couldn't measure the miniscule quantity of grinds with any reasonable accuracy or precision.

My coffee was 7 day old of whatever Counter Culture calls their Guatemala blend. I'm on bag #3 at this point.

I would guess that some more oily coffees would stick but for the amount of complaining on this website about K10 fresh ground retention, I'm experiencing an unmeasurable quantity of sticking. In comparison to my experience with Mazzer Mini-E, Kony, SJ, Major and Robur, the Mahlkonig K30 and ek43 guatemala, the Baratza Vario, and the Nuova Simonelli Mythos; and in comparison to the tiresome doser grinders (all Mazzer in my experience) that require constant sweeping and doser thwacking, I'm happy with my purchase decision and have no problem single dosing with the K10 grinder. Somebody on here wrote that it was the worst choice for single dosing because of grind retention, and I'm just saying that is not my experience.

It does seem ludicrous to have a grinder this big for a single dosing environment at home, but that's another story. :) I'm also not a big fan of the colors...wish they copied Mazzer's color schemes.

I just wanted to help other people who might be considering a K10 fresh feel more confident about their decision. I'm happy with it and I didn't do any modifications yet.

#6: Post by damonbowe (original poster) »

Randy G. wrote:IMO, "27 in and 27 out" is a valid statement only if:
1 - You are weighing to the nearest whole gram (as in 27.0 or even 27.00)
My scale isn't that great, but I don't trust anybody's measurements would be better unless they have a mettler on a liquid nitrogen suspended table. There just isn't much to measure. I'm measuring down to 10ths of a gram with a scale that I don't trust at all (based on the above requirements). Less than a tenth of a gram incorrect is totally fine with me. To people who are considering this ginder: I could be off by 1/10th of a gram. Realistically, that's zero grind retention.
Randy G. wrote: 2 - The grinder was completely empty of grounds before grinding
Of course I did that. I was pretty surprised after reading a couple of people's posts on here which basically take the grinder to task for retention. Just not what I saw.
Randy G. wrote: 3 - You are using an external scale and not depending on one built into or reported by the grinder
While I have not used a Compak grinder, I do admire the K10 Fresh and if I lost my mind and wanted to replace my Mazzer Kony with another brand of grinder, the "Fresh" would be near or at the top of the list. But i do not see that happening.
I didn't know the grinder has a scale on it. Are you talking about the timer?

What is the deal with you guys being incredulous about me saying the grinder doesn't retain grinds? If this is grind retention, I don't know how to judge any of your other comments on anything because the margin of error between awesome and terrible is so small.

#7: Post by damonbowe (original poster) »

Spitz.me wrote:If Compak hasn't changed the K10 Fresh at all, then I can't imagine why your Fresh would function differently than others where retention is a concern and why the droves of K10 PB users haven't flocked to the new 'upgrade'.
What is the 'upgrade'? I don't know what to tell you, except that I put in 27 grams (that's just what I use for pour over so I keep using that amount) of beans and got 27 grams of ground beans out.

Spitz.me

#8: Post by Spitz.me »

damonbowe wrote:I bump and brush every time and observed that the grinds are not sticking. I wasn't even able to measure the grinds that did stick by weight because there was so little sticking and my scale is not good enough. However, without a still table, I would suggest that most scales couldn't measure the miniscule quantity of grinds with any reasonable accuracy or precision.

My coffee was 7 day old of whatever Counter Culture calls their Guatemala blend. I'm on bag #3 at this point.

I would guess that some more oily coffees would stick but for the amount of complaining on this website about K10 fresh ground retention, I'm experiencing an unmeasurable quantity of sticking. In comparison to my experience with Mazzer Mini-E, Kony, SJ, Major and Robur, the Mahlkonig K30 and ek43 guatemala, the Baratza Vario, and the Nuova Simonelli Mythos; and in comparison to the tiresome doser grinders (all Mazzer in my experience) that require constant sweeping and doser thwacking, I'm happy with my purchase decision and have no problem single dosing with the K10 grinder. Somebody on here wrote that it was the worst choice for single dosing because of grind retention, and I'm just saying that is not my experience.

It does seem ludicrous to have a grinder this big for a single dosing environment at home, but that's another story. :) I'm also not a big fan of the colors...wish they copied Mazzer's color schemes.

I just wanted to help other people who might be considering a K10 fresh feel more confident about their decision. I'm happy with it and I didn't do any modifications yet.
The internet is full of conflicting reports. However, grinds retention isn't a report about quality of grinder or customer service which is what the conflicts usually comprise. Grinds retention is usually based on facts and measurements and the retention level isn't something you can get around without modifying the grinder.

Describe your process. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by bumping and grinding since the chute isn't as accessible as the K10 PBs chute. I know the K10 PB retains little grind, because my modification made it so I can fish out what was retained without interference.

Conflicts in Robur retention lead to a fairly heated thread with many measurements because it's not technically possible for users to experience materially different levels of grinds retention when the grinders are used similarly.
LMWDP #670

#9: Post by damonbowe (original poster) »

Randy G. wrote:While I have not used a Compak grinder, I do admire the K10 Fresh and if I lost my mind and wanted to replace my Mazzer Kony with ...
DON'T DO IT!!! JUST SAY NO!!!

If you do this, you have read too much Home-Barista forums.

#10: Post by damonbowe (original poster) »

Spitz.me wrote:I'm not exactly sure what you mean by bumping and grinding since the chute isn't as accessible as the K10 PBs chute.
I was concerned about grind retention, so I picked up my K10 about one inch and let it fall on the countertop (bump). On subsequent grinds, I tapped the chute with a really long tea spoon just to see if there was anything left in it. On both occasions, there wasn't grind retention inside. However, the chute collected some grinds on the end and they appeared to have static charge. I was annoyed and brushed them off separately. However, my scale was unable to detect them. I keep trying, but I'm not going to drop $300 on a used mettler on ebay to satisfy everyone's curiosity about a couple micrograms of putative retained coffee.

The best argument you have against me is that if my wife saw the retained coffee on the counter top, she would be mad at me. So there is enough coffee for that! ;)

Anyway, what's this mod you are talking about?