Compak K10 Fresh - Grind adjustment changing on its own

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Whale

#1: Post by Whale »

Hello all
After looking for a Robur for the longest time I came up to a K10 Fresh offer that was too good to pass on.
Well... I am not so sure now.

When I received the K10 (used) the adjustment regulator was all worn and mangled. This was because the previous owner was using the set screw to lock the grinder adjustment in place and perhaps, was tightening it a bit too much.
The bad condition of the regulator was such that adjustment was clumsy and that the position of the knob was moving at time.
Being a sucker for the good condition of my hardware and not being happy with adjustment that changes on its own I ordered a replacement regulator assembly.

Turns out that now the adjustment changes even more now. The knob literally rotates right in front of you during grinding. Sometime as much as 1/2 turn during a 3 second grind.

Anybody else has this happen to them?
LMWDP #330

Be thankful for the small mercies in life.

SpaceTime

#2: Post by SpaceTime »

Some days I wish I had a grinder that adjusted itself!

Seriously, I guess the "but how does it taste in the cup?" question is not relevant....?

Hopefully even with the issue you have maintained a sense of humor.... 8)
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

Whale (original poster)

#3: Post by Whale (original poster) »

Yah I wish it would adjust itself also!
The problem is that my grinder moves out of the adjustment!!!
Thing is that now getting a decent cup is very hard. Even if I hold it in place for a shot or two, I keep on forgetting and then everything is out of wack for a few more shots.
Very frustrating... but I can still laugh about it for now.
LMWDP #330

trihard

#4: Post by trihard »

Are you sure that the burrs are actually moving? Could it be that the regulator is turning but not actually make changes to the burr's? Having recently taken mine apart and cleaned it out, you can see that it is actually not easy to adjust the burrs, and for me, it takes a decent amount of force on the adjuster to make it move. That isn't to say that what's going on for you is good, but could it be that it really isn't effecting the grind?

Whale (original poster)

#5: Post by Whale (original poster) »

Thank you for the reply.
Yes I am certain that the burrs are moving.
I openned the grinder to change the regulator itself. I actually ran the grinder with the cover off and the burr carrier was actually turning when I was adjusting it and also on its own when the grinder was running.
It is like the gear ratio was not sufficient to serve as the self locking feature. But this would mean that others would see the same problem...
LMWDP #330

dogjamboree

#6: Post by dogjamboree »

Like trihard, I'm really surprised to hear the burrs could move on their own, as I also have to apply quite a bit of force when turning the knob. I know this doesn't happen on my grinder because this was the most important factor in choosing a grinder, apart from taste in the cup, so I would have noticed.

Have you tried calling Compak support yet? I good experience with them when I was having issues with the grinder bog down due to the anemic capacitor it was originally delivered with.

Good luck,

Frank

Whale (original poster)

#7: Post by Whale (original poster) »

Thank you.
I am in contact with Compak but so far we have not got to a solution yet.
A stable adjustment is the most important thing in a grinder!! I just cannot wait to find a solution to my grinder's problem.
LMWDP #330

Whale (original poster)

#8: Post by Whale (original poster) »

Really!
This never happened to anyone before?
LMWDP #330

victoriacoffees

#9: Post by victoriacoffees »

I demo/use the K8 Fresh quite a bit and have not experienced this issue. Is your worm gear in good shape? Does it show signs of wear?

So far, what has Compak had you try?
John V.

Whale (original poster)

#10: Post by Whale (original poster) »

So far The guys at Compak have only suggested to screw in the locking set screw on the adjustment knob.
I find this not an acceptable solution. I do not want to use an allen wrench before and after each adjustment.

The Worm is brand new since I just changed the regulator (worm, regulator frame and adjustment sensor).
The plastic gear on the burr mount looks prestine. There is no sign of wear and there is no significant backlash in the mesh.
LMWDP #330