Compak K10 Chute Mods

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by Peppersass »

michaelbenis wrote:With JohnB's mod, the K10 also has pretty low grind retention for a big conical
What exactly is JohnB's mod? Is there a link to it?

Somewhere I saw a post that said JohnB sent someone a modified chute, but haven't seen any details on it. I've also seen a picture of a K10 chute with the narrow plastic strip above the opening cut back, probably with a dremel tool. This looks like a fairly easy mod that might be useful for being able to see further into the chute to sweep it out. But near as I can tell it wouldn't reduce retention.

Moderator note: Topic split from Compak K10 Doserless. See the original thread for context.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

There is nothing complicated about the chute mods I did but they do improve access & help with grounds retention. Cutting away the upper edge (strip) gives much better access & removing the entire raised "step" molded inside the chute allows the grounds to flow through quicker & they don't pack in as densely. With the stock chute the grounds drop from the metal portion of the chute into the wide part of the plastic extension, immediately hit the step & start backing up. You end up with more grounds in the chute & the burr chamber.
It's not a great photo but this shows the modified plastic chute which is now smooth from the metal portion to the outer edge. I also added a piece of sticky back velcro to the under side of the metal chute to close the gap between the two chute sections as grounds could easily fall down into the motor area.
LMWDP 267

jammin

#3: Post by jammin »

I modded mine just like john's. Easy to do and a necessary improvement.

Javacat

#4: Post by Javacat »

Brian, fyi, the Major doserless is terrible at grinds distribution, so unless you plan on using the weiss method, I would go with the k10 or a standard Major with the doser.

-Kurt

AidanC

#5: Post by AidanC »

jammin wrote:I modded mine just like jon's. Easy to do and a necessary improvement.
How would the mods affect warranty, I'm curious.

Peppersass (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by Peppersass (original poster) »

Thanks, John. How did you remove the step, and did you remove it all the way around the opening (top, bottom and sides?)

gyro

#7: Post by gyro »

Javacat wrote:Brian, fyi, the Major doserless is terrible at grinds distribution, so unless you plan on using the weiss method, I would go with the k10 or a standard Major with the doser.

-Kurt
Is this from personal experience with the Major-E? Cheers, Chris

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

AidanC wrote:How would the mods affect warranty, I'm curious.
You are only modifying an easily removed plastic section. These cost $11 U.S. (part# K00008N.) so I bought a couple to play with & have the original chute in a drawer. I can't imagine this being an issue but if you needed to return the grinder for service you could reinstall the original piece in about 2 minutes. I did mention my plans to Josh @ Compak USA when I was looking for the part number & he didn't say anything that would indicate the mod might be a warranty problem.
LMWDP 267

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

Peppersass wrote:Thanks, John. How did you remove the step, and did you remove it all the way around the opening (top, bottom and sides?)
I did remove it on all 4 sides using several different hand files. I removed all file marks using 180/320/600Grt wet sandpaper.
LMWDP 267

Peppersass (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by Peppersass (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:You are only modifying an easily removed plastic section. These cost $11 U.S. (part# K00008N.)
Thanks for the mod info. Where did you get your spare chutes?