Cleaning out flavored coffee used in my Nuova MCF grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
beaner

#1: Post by beaner »

Hello HBers

I just picked up a used Nuova Simonelli MCF grinder for an espresso machine I got for Christmas. The grinder is in good working condition, however the previous owner of the machine used flavored coffee ( I believe Hazelnut). My question is how do I get rid of the remaining smell from the machine? It seems the bean hopper has the smell embedded in it as well.

Also, is there any way I can get an instructional manual for this machine? I can't seem to find it on the internet.

Thanks in advance.
I enjoy coffee in all forms

Kristi

#2: Post by Kristi »

beaner wrote:Hello HBers

I just picked up a used Nuova Simonelli MCF grinder for an espresso machine I got for Christmas. The grinder is in good working condition, however the previous owner of the machine used flavored coffee ( I believe Hazelnut). My question is how do I get rid of the remaining smell from the machine? It seems the bean hopper has the smell embedded in it as well.
running Grindz or Minute rice through it should certainly help. You may have to disassemble it and soak the parts and wipe the grind chamber walls with a solution of cafiza. As to the hopper, try soaking it in a strong solution of cafiza.
Kris

2xlp

#3: Post by 2xlp »

first i'd take a vacuum to grinder -- suck up any last bits

then try the minute rice. if that doesn't work, spend the $$ on grindz.

to clean the hopper, i'd suggest this: mix up some JoeGlo espresso cleaner (i like it the most) with warm water per the directions on the bottle. try applying some of it to the hopper -- maybe put it in a pie pan or something, so you only get the tip -- and see if there is any damage to the plastic after soaking for 10 minutes. if there's not -- you have a winner. if there is, i have no clue. the espresso cleaners *could* potentially harm the plastic -- so i'd just be a little wary of immediately soaking it.

flavored coffee is certainly scary. aside from however they synthesize the 'natural' or artificial flavors, the fact that you simply can't wash it off of plastic makes you wonder how it affects the human body.

RegulatorJohnson

#4: Post by RegulatorJohnson »

2xlp wrote:the fact that you simply can't wash it off of plastic makes you wonder how it affects the human body.
there is no emoticon to express what im feeling.

jon
2012 BGA SW region rep. Roaster@cognoscenti LA

Kristi

#5: Post by Kristi »

bleah!
Kris

beanmuncher

#6: Post by beanmuncher »

I'd be thinking about good solvents if it comes to that... I could see pure alcohol doing nice things to the oils and flavorants that are built up on your grinder...

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

Kristi wrote:You may have to disassemble it and soak the parts and wipe the grind chamber walls with a solution of cafiza
I wouldn't introduce anything into the grinder's chamber that's not edible. Cafiza contains trisodium phosphate; the recommended use calls for rinsing thoroughly with water. Searching on Cafiza material safety data sheet led to this download and the phrase "If ingested, drink large quantities of water and seek medical attention."

I use elbow grease. My wife suggested food safe cleaners like vinegar and lemon juice, but I don't think they would do much to remove encrusted oils. Any suggestions of other no-rinse food safe cleaners?
Dan Kehn

RegulatorJohnson

#8: Post by RegulatorJohnson »

food safe degreasers?

go to a resturant supply.

my local one has about 4 different food safe degreasers.

jon
2012 BGA SW region rep. Roaster@cognoscenti LA

beaner (original poster)

#9: Post by beaner (original poster) »

Thanks for all your replies. I ran some older beans that I had through the grinder and some of the smell dissipated. I ended up taking the burr assembly apart and brushed a lot of the residuals out. I also put some Grindz on order, so hopefully that takes care of the rest.

After washing out the hopper for a good 5 minutes, the smell is still very strong. I don't think anything but time will get the smell out. I don't plan on storing beans in there so I'm not as worried about it.
I enjoy coffee in all forms

jesawdy

#10: Post by jesawdy »

HB wrote:I wouldn't introduce anything into the grinder's chamber that's not edible. Cafiza contains trisodium phosphate; the recommended use calls for rinsing thoroughly with water.
JoeGlo is also mostly trisodium phosphate. That being said, if you can rinse the items in question with copious water, I would not be afraid to use something like that. TSP is used in cleaning restaurant equipment quite often.... I gather it is the thing of choice to clean stainless steel urns (like iced tea urns). I was quite surprised to learn this, but now use straight TSP from the hardware store to clean beer kegs now. It's actually pretty amazing how well it works.

As for food safe, you use Cafiza and JoeGlo in your portafilter, so I hope it is considered a food grade cleaner.
Jeff Sawdy