Cleaner doser mod for Mazzer grinders

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mckolit

#1: Post by mckolit »

Is the upper star on the super jolly necessary for home use? As far as I know, it's just for adjusting the amount of the dose but only effective when the doser is full right? Not necessarily effective when only grinding per shot? I wanted to remove it because of all the stray grinds that get stuck on top of it, on top of the adjustment nut, on top of the flat metal piece that goes over the doser's exit hole. This is what I've done for now. I removed the upper star and the flat metal piece and used an aluminum can that extends up to block the grinder exit chute to help deflect the grinds so they don't just fall out of the doser because I've removed that metal plate. Here's a couple of pics of the set up. The only downside for now is that because the can sets up too high, it's hard to brush out the grinds on the chute from the blades. Still working on it, but otherwise the annoying little grinds getting stuck on top of the upper star is gone for now.

Is there an easier solution for the doser. Thinking of the numerous doserless options but would like to work on making the doser easier to clean out.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

mckolit wrote:Is the upper star on the super jolly necessary for home use? As far as I know, it's just for adjusting the amount of the dose but only effective when the doser is full right?
Yes.
mckolit wrote:Is there an easier solution for the doser. Thinking of the numerous doserless options but would like to work on making the doser easier to clean out.
There's several variants of the doser mod, e.g., Improving Mazzer doser efficiency. My rendition is below:

Of the Mazzer modifications, Andy's shnozz mod is my personal favorite.
Dan Kehn

Psyd

#3: Post by Psyd »

mckolit wrote: Is there an easier solution for the doser.
You could use this mod with or without the upper star.

Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

mckolit (original poster)

#4: Post by mckolit (original poster) »

I've seen the easter egg mod too, but I used the taller can because I wanted to get rid of the flat plate that covers the doser's exit chute. I am constantly trying to brush stray grinds off of that thing.